Second hand Canon 2x Converter

Edit My Images
No
Called in our local London Camera Exchange today, they have a Canon 2x converter (second hand) I think it was up at around £50, didn't take that much notice as the lens I have would not be compatible, 70-300 sigma APO DG, after thinking about it, in the near future I am going for a better/longer lens thats this would work on, is there any points I should pay attention to if I go back and have an inspection.

i think you lose autofocus with a 2x converter, and they are only compatabile with certain lenses, i think if you google it you can find a list. 1.4x are the better option but obviously dont give the reach, i've replaced my sigma 70-300 with a canon 70-200 f4l and i'm thinking of getting a 1.4x it will give me 280mm so should be good enough as the image quality is miles better than the sigma.

2x is only compatable with 135 prime upwards and 70-200mm and 100-400mm zooms

and you loose two stops as mentioned, the faster the glass the better the results. Ive used it all this week on the 135 in mixed lighting and heavy rain for a football tournament with kits ranging from lime green to fluoresent Orange and the results have been excellent. Worth buying for the 70-200 f4 but you would only be able to shoot f/8 so it depends on what you would situations you have in mind.

Thanks

Andy

I've used third party teleconverters on the 70-300 APO DG....

It sounds really cheap to me. The Canon auto focus converters come in two versions Generation 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 are weather sealed IIRC.

This could be a non- AF one so be careful if AF is important to you.

If it's a genuine Canon 2x extender then at £50 it's an absolute steal (even if it's the mk I)
You'll lose 2 stops with the 2x, and the image quality does suffer a little. Personally I think they work far better with prime lenses than with zooms.

Called in our local London Camera Exchange today, they have a Canon 2x converter (second hand) I think it was up at around £50, didn't take that much notice as the lens I have would not be compatible, 70-300 sigma APO DG, after thinking about it, in the near future I am going for a better/longer lens thats this would work on, is there any points I should pay attention to if I go back and have an inspection.

After taking in all of your comments, think I'll give it a mis until I actually get the new lens..........thanks for your help

I think canon extenders work with all canon L series .

Sounds cheap! is there a FD mount version?

too cheap. i think this will be an after market version, even the FD versions still fetch more than that. especially through LCE, they're not known for their low prices. (my local one isnt anyway)

len scap - there are some L lenses that extenders do not work with, generally the smaller ones, 17-40 for example.

too cheap. i think this will be an after market version, even the FD versions still fetch more than that. especially through LCE, they're not known for their low prices. (my local one isnt anyway)

len scap - there are some L lenses that extenders do not work with, generally the smaller ones, 17-40 for example.

I'll tell the man from Jessops he was wrong.(y)

Just go look at the Canon products spec ontheir web site and you'll get the definitive answer rather than "I think"

I use my Canon Gen 2 2x with my 70-200 f2.8L and it's great even though you lose a couple of stops. Can't believe it's a genuine Canon at £50

the canon site is where i pulled the info from my previous post. 2x EX works with the 70-200s and the 100-400 zooms only. Then only with primes 135mm or above

Just go look at the Canon products spec ontheir web site and you'll get the definitive answer rather than "I think"

haggis, As i said earlier i was misinformed by the man from jessops, when you are new to this game like me you tend to think these poeple are giving you the correct information.

Off down there now to smash his face in.:bat:

:shrug:A Canon 2x extender worked with my old Sigma 120-300 but doesnt with
my Sigma 70-200 if that helps anyone (y)

Edit: Re read the topic title - are convertors & extenders different?
I thought extenders went between the body & lens & convertors fitted
to the end of the lens

Back