Second Wedding - kit

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Second wedding today. I am thinking about leaving most of the kit behind, and taking simply the D3 and 14 to 24 for nice and wide. and the S5 Pro and 85 f1.4 for the longer shots and portraits etc.

What do you reckon? I want to try and enjoy it, and let myself loosen up and just go with it. The last time I was up tight and nervous, I really think if you feel that way, being creative can be hard.

Gary.

Take it ALL - you just never know :)

Being slightly nervous is normal and can keep you on your toes creatively. I actually find that if the couple & guests are obviously having a good time, so do I and the photos get better too. We had one earlier this year as dull as dishwater and I really struggled to be arsed to shoot anything but the obvious

Yesterday, I shot all morning & most of the aft on an 85 and 12-24 funnily enough, but the evening bit needed a mid-range zoom

Have fun and the juices will flow :)

DD

good plan

Last time I took both camera, about 6 lenses, the flashguns, the tripod and a massive bag. Big mistake, I spent so much time "kit guessing" and also being extremely paranoid as my kit was hidden under tables, in cupboards, anywhere, whilst I went to shoot!

It was a major distraction.

Gary.

Take it ALL - you just never know :)

Being slightly nervous is normal and can keep you on your toes creatively. I actually find that if the couple & guests are obviously having a good time, so do I and the photos get better too. We had one earlier this year as dull as dishwater and I really struggled to be arsed to shoot anything but the obvious

Yesterday, I shot all morning & most of the aft on an 85 and 12-24 funnily enough, but the evening bit needed a mid-range zoom

Have fun and the juices will flow :)

DD

Cheers man, do you keep your kit on you at all times?

How do you deal with the threat of theft etc.

Gary.

Do both, Take all the equipment in the boot, use what you suggest and have th erest if required

Cheers man, do you keep your kit on you at all times?

How do you deal with the threat of theft etc.

Gary.

My Wedding kit - 2 bodies, 6 lenses, 2 flashes and bits - all fits into one mini-trekker which I carry at all times - except during the service itself, when it's very close to me and no-one (potential thief :cautious:) is moving about anyway

DD

I carry two bodies on me at the same time. Just make sure you sync the clocks on them :)

D3 with 85 (sometimes the 70-200 gets a run, depending on location)
D700 with 24-70 (with flash attached).

Anytime during the wedding, can get detail shots, wide angle, shallow DoF / low light, or flash, without having to swap lenses or carrying entire set-up.

Rest of kit is locked up in car at all times.

Hi Guys,

Second wedding today. I am thinking about leaving most of the kit behind, and taking simply the D3 and 14 to 24 for nice and wide. and the S5 Pro and 85 f1.4 for the longer shots and portraits etc.

What do you reckon? I want to try and enjoy it, and let myself loosen up and just go with it. The last time I was up tight and nervous, I really think if you feel that way, being creative can be hard.

Gary.

Interesting theory Gary,

I say go for it and see how it compares
both image wise and "sanity" wise
with the minimalist approach (y)

Getting the nerves again! I have a crumpler daily xl which I can fit the two flashes, the 24 to 70 and 70 to 200 in. Perhaps it's better to have two much gear rather than too little?

I can still keep the 14 to 24 and 85 combo on mostly....

Gary.

I take 2 bodies, 8 lenses and two flashes and a video light with me. All goes in a rolling case for the camera gear and a lowepro for the lighting kit.

I did shoot a wedding two weeks ago on two lenses, 24-105mm f4 and the 70-200mm f2.8. The light really was that good :) The church was great and the park we shot in was pure 70-200mm territory.

Other days I can go through all 8!

There is a certain simplicity to shooting with a prime and it does tend to make me very considerate with angles and DOF.

Take it all and pick what the surroundings and light dictate is my policy. You never know what the surroundings will be like. I did bridal prep in a house last week that looked like a bomb had hit it but you would not know because I used the 85mm f1.8 and shot at f2, instant background vanishing trick :)

well done Gary, glad you enjoyed it.

Its like military battle mate, once you stop feeling a little nervous is when you get sloppy and get shot. The only difference is -- death is more desirable then messing up a wedding :LOL::LOL:

Over the past quarter of a century I must have shot over 1000 weddings and I enjoy the nerves :):)

stew

Cheers guys, stuck with the 14 to 24 and 85...had fun :)

Gary.

I personally wouldn't have admitted that on an open forum
you will have the purists after you :D
What ever next just a Polaroid? :shrug: :D

I personally wouldn't have admitted that on an open forum
you will have the purists after you :D
What ever next just a Polaroid? :shrug: :D

Nope, I know a fab photographer who shoots weddings on two lenses, an 85mm f1.2 and a fisheye! :D Oh and all of it is in B&W too. :)

Glad you got on OK Gary :)

Nah should have taken the Mamiya instead;)

Pretty happy with the photos, myself and darren shot it. I really enjoyed shooting wide. Much more relaxed today, I managed to slow right down. Still made some blinding mistakes with some of the photos, but I reckon we can easily provide 100 photos which are album material.

Looking forward to the next one! :)

Gary.

I will post a few up shortly, but quite apprehensive for once! I don't mind wrecking photos I take for the sheer fun of it. Other peoples big day though? Much more nerve wracking.

Still, C&C can only help going forward.

Gary.

be really daring and just use a 50mm prime. ;)

EDIT: jsut realised you already did it, is it safe shooting wide always? what about during the ceremony> did you miss anything like a 70-200 zoom?

be really daring and just use a 50mm prime. ;)

EDIT: jsut realised you already did it, is it safe shooting wide always? what about during the ceremony> did you miss anything like a 70-200 zoom?

No photography allowed in the ceremony at all. They were extremely strict.

Gary.

Guys,

Off to pick up my lovely wife from a night on the tiles! I am terrified of coming back to your replies! :D

Gary.

Back