Selective colour

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
Never bothered with this before. Thought I'd have a go! Thought I'd see if I could do something different than the norm.

selectivecolour by srichgtr, on Flickr

All done in Gimp. Not sure about the transition and whether it is too hard. It's done with 5 pixel feathering from a selection from path. Used the eraser tool to create the transparency but thinking on I could have probably used the flood tool instead and saved a few minutes :)

The manky line is due to the bonnet, reflections of leaves are in the top of that. I did wonder whether to keep that mono but couldn't decide how to do the edge otherwise if it wasn't there. Beginning to think it might not have been the best choice of starting image!

Thoughts?

You've not done a bad job with selecting the bit you want to be in colour and the bit you want to be in b&w. However, IMHO, the photo is of nothing interesting and the popped colouring has not improved it either.

For me selective colouring/monochrome only really works on a handful of pics, other wise it's a novelty that seems to look clever and different to some people.

:plus1: the only way this would maybe have worked would have been, say selective colour to the tax disc ... as it is it's done but it's meaningless :)

Selective colour on the tax disc is what is predictable. I wanted to do something different :)

It's the autumn colours that drew me to it hence I left those in colour and de saturated everything else. Shot is boring but the only one I had of similar with a simple area to get at :D

To be honest it's doing nothing for me but that's not your image it's a general dislike of SC unless done well on the perfect subject, but as a technical exercise I'd say that you've done a nice job on it (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

To be honest it's doing nothing for me but that's not your image it's a general dislike of SC unless done well on the perfect subject, but as a technical exercise I'd say that you've done a nice job on it (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Ta. I feel the same about SC really. I've only ever seen a handful of subjects where I've really liked it.

I was tempted by a winter scene with a post box that I have lying around ;)

Back