Self Portrait - First attempt - Feedback Please

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first attempt at a self portrait (so don't laugh :naughty:). I used a halogen lamp stolen from my living room. With a mirror behind the camera so I could compose the shot correctly.

A few tweaks in CS3 including unsharp mask.

C&C very much appreciated (y)

Me_Resized.jpg

Last edited:
I'm frightened

lol, it is a very intense look. its nice and some good detail, was there anything you were aiming to achieve or is it just experimenting?

It's a good shot - I like your trick of a mirror behind the camera (y)

Mainly experimenting - I thought it was going to turn out bad because of the yellow light, but I set the WB turn tungsten in CS3 and it looked better... I would have prefered for my left eye to have a little light fall on it to highlight the detail but I guess this kinda works. although Im not too happy with the burnt area on my neck - :)

You would be amazed at the setup, very tacky.. lol

I had to set the camera to live view so I could see the composure, but the had to use a mirror inside my wardrobe door opened at a certain angle to see behind the camera. But because I was using live view I had to manually focus the lens before going to live view. And the light was a lounge halogen that I borrowed from downstairs. I never thought it would work!

Im pleased with the detail acheived, but might invest in a few things to make it easier next time.

Thanks for your input folks.

Thanks folks.. Ill give it a go

Are you Gordon Freeman Cav? :D

Excellent shot, and with that set up it deserves extra commendation, just for pure resourcefulness!

Are you Gordon Freeman Cav? :D

Excellent shot, and with that set up it deserves extra commendation, just for pure resourcefulness!

I AM Gordan Freeman - but someone nicked my glasses..

Here is the B&W version

me_b_w.jpg

I prefer the b&w version. A lot more dramatic. Can't you find a better looking model though ;)

I would have to give the Labrador seditives for that - I dont think the RSPCA would be too happy!

I like both versions but I think the black and white version has the edge.

Well taken.

Lisa

B&W for me too. Looks much moodier

Pretty cool, i like the detail on the eye idwallis

Back