Senegal parrot

Pity the eye's blurred. May be you could go to manual and set the shutter speed to around the max flash sync speed and let the flash do more work. 1/60th is too slow at 105mm even if the parrot stayed still!

Please forgive the errors, I've only had the camera a couple of days.

Last edited:
Lovely Parrot, does he have a name? And, can he speak?
Someone told me they can live to over 100 years old , is this true??

Last edited:
Shooting in daylight would probably help me, the room is quite dimly lit with no natural light available.

I'm sorry that my pictures are not of a good standard. I'm a novice.

Last edited:
hi mandy
good picture in my opinion . you dont need to apologise for taking a good picture.
just keep on taking pictures and posting them . i dont post any on this forum as i learnt at an early stage this site has some real pre madonas on it who think they are a cut above your ameteur photographer. keep on clicking

I understand my picture has faults, I want to learn. I wish I had waited before posting anything on here as the standard is so high.

Shooting in daylight would probably help me, the room is quite dimly lit with no natural light available.

I'm sorry that my pictures are not of a good standard. I'm a novice.

I think you are missunderstanding my advice to help you improve as critcism of you personally. We all started some where and posted photos with the aim of getting advice on improving them. You should post photos as often as you can, the advice will help you improve very quickly.
I'm sure you're a very nice person, there is really no need to get defensive!

PS I was a Prima Donna pre Madonna.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I took your comment personally, I'm not even sure why I did.
I'm going to try again in better lighting over the weekend.

Last edited:
Lovely Parrot, does he have a name? And, can he speak?
Someone told me they can live to over 100 years old , is this true??

His name is Kendi, he speaks a little but Senegal parrots have a little robotic sounding voice. My other parrot Rafiki, an African grey (I posted a picture of yesterday) talks well. Senegal parrots can live for around 30 years and African greys up to 50 years. Kendi is 21 months old and Rafiki is 9 and a half months.
The macaws and Amazon parrots are more long lived under ideal conditions and can indeed live for many decades.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I took your comment personally, I'm not even sure why I did.
I'm going to try again in better lighting over the weekend.

A happy ending then :)

Two more I took this morning, different lighting.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

His name is Kendi, he speaks a little but Senegal parrots have a little robotic sounding voice. My other parrot Rafiki, an African grey (I posted a picture of yesterday) talks well. Senegal parrots can live for around 30 years and African greys up to 50 years. Kendi is 21 months old and Rafiki is 9 and a half months.
The macaws and Amazon parrots are more long lived under ideal conditions and can indeed live for many decades.

Rafiki means "friend" in Swahili :)

Back