Senior

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Picked my Dad up the other day and brought him down to ours to give us a lift with a little job at home. Mum does a half charity work once a week so Dad is left all alone. Anyway when said job was complete and the compulsary cuppa had been downed Dad let me take a couple of photos.

Gaz

tp2.jpg

dad_texture_smile_tp.jpg

great, but no 1 for me is bang on...but maybe a bit less crop at the top...
great light on both of them

agree - no 1 is really good, great use of light and shadow, shame about the crop top. Might look good in mono too. The only other improvement would be a some eye contact possibly?

I too like No.1, purely for the eyes which I would be very tempted to enlarge and make the dominating factor,

Geoff

The light is a bit too flat in #2 and when I see a big expressive grin like that I want to have eye contact in a portrait. Number 1, however, is vert close to being perfect. The poignant expression, use of space, light and colour are wonderful. It's just the light in his right hand lens causing a little flaring that distracts, but I'm nitpicking.

great, but no 1 for me is bang on...but maybe a bit less crop at the top...
great light on both of them
Thanks Greg.Much appreciated did take the image full so will post below. I thought the crop gave it much more (something) maybe umph is my best decsription, you can tell i'm no photographer as i'm not sure why the crop looked better to me but it just did somehow.

agree - no 1 is really good, great use of light and shadow, shame about the crop top. Might look good in mono too. The only other improvement would be a some eye contact possibly?
Thank you. Didn't try mono. I'm not the best at conversions to be honest. Un crpped version below.

H
I too like No.1, purely for the eyes which I would be very tempted to enlarge and make the dominating factor,

Geoff
Hi Geof

Would never cross my mind to have enlarged the eyes, another thing to think about.

1 is a winner. very nice tones to the shots
Thank you Ian.

The light is a bit too flat in #2 and when I see a big expressive grin like that I want to have eye contact in a portrait. Number 1, however, is vert close to being perfect. The poignant expression, use of space, light and colour are wonderful. It's just the light in his right hand lens causing a little flaring that distracts, but I'm nitpicking.
Thanks Dean. Yes I agree number one lacks the eye contact and to be honest I would have prefered Dad on the other side of the frame.Big praise on number 2 thank you. Yes the flare was a reflector I placed in front of Dad unfortunatly on this image it needed to be angled away towards me a touch more.
Dad makes things easy for me really as he just sits there and tends to look good which ever way he turns. I struggle once I have took a couple of photos as I have not got much idea on posing my mind seems to just go blank. There must be a set routine photogrphers go through to get a standard set of images and then experiment after that.

Gaz

un cropped version ?

dzcz8p.jpg

Last edited:
Gaz, don't worry about posing for portraits anywhere near as much as chatting and keeping your subject relaxed. Watch David Hobby doing this. He does gently pose, but it's all part of the process as he's always asking questions about their day/life.

Gaz, don't worry about posing for portraits anywhere near as much as chatting and keeping your subject relaxed. Watch David Hobby doing this. He does gently pose, but it's all part of the process as he's always asking questions about their day/life.
Cheers Dean. I will Google him today. It's not like I will be doing this for a anyone really as i'm not confident enough but I feel there is something in me that secretly would like to be able to do it if asked.

Gaz

Cheers Dean. I will Google him today. It's not like I will be doing this for a anyone really as i'm not confident enough but I feel there is something in me that secretly would like to be able to do it if asked.

Gaz
You'll get the bug. ;)

I don't like the cropped version at all. Loses so much impact.

The negative space works because your dad is looking back and up there. It just feels right to me, but it's your shot! :)

It's interesting how we see images. The un-cropped version has less impact for me, the cropped version make me wonder where his thoughts are, he is looking almost wistfully out of frame - perhaps a poignant memory or just wondering what he'll have for dinner ;)

Wouldn't do for us all to be the same :)

Thanks Paul appreciate you coming back and giving some thoughts :)

Gaz

I'm with Paul - the cropped one has much more impact (cropped = shot 1, I mean). And I like that there isn't eye contact in any of these shots, makes you wonder what he is looking/laughing at.

Back