Sensor cleaning woes - advice please?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I got one of the lenspen sensorklean kits with the loupe etc for christmas and todays the first chance Ive had to do it, im not averse to it even though ive never done one before but the sensor on the 5d needs it, however even after using it theres still loads of dustbunnies as can be seen on the linked pic (its full size hence the link rather than it opening on the forum) it's especially bad on the corners :-(

Here's the shot up to a blue sky at f25 https://flic.kr/p/qxgDeE
I didn't feel the lenspen dust catcher was particularly good i have to say, seems to have moved it about rather than pick much up?

So do people think I need to go for a wet clean or send it off maybe to be done?

Can't really see on the pic but...

Personally I'd always DIY rather than send the camera off. I once sent my 20D off for a clean and all they did was move the dust bunnies about so after that I decided to DIY and I do a much better job :D

There'll be demos on line and it's a relatively easy process so I think you should give it a go. You can use swabs but I use a more DIY method as follows...

-Try a Rocket blower first. Wet clean if required...
-Fold a pec pad around a slice cut from an old credit card.
-Apply a drop of Eclipse fluid.
-Clean sensor.
-Take a small aperture shot of a white door and examine the result to check the effectiveness of the process.
-Clean again if required.

The theory behind using a slice cut from an old credit card is because it flexes and therefore, I hope, reduces the risk of damaging the filter as very little pressure can be applied. I use pec pads and fluid not because it's cheaper (although it probably is) but so that I don't run out of swabs half way through a cleaning process.

Give it a go with either ready made pads or your own DIY ones. Good luck.

Rocket blower first (holding the camera upside down whilst doing this) and then wet swabs is my preferred route.

Seems to work a treat but be careful not to swab beyond the edges of the sensor.

There are a few sensors where it's advised not to use the eyelead and that was one review from many. (I think it was on Amazon).

What we don't know is how hard the user stuck the stick to the sensor.
I just very lightly drop the gel onto the sensor and slowly lift it back up. We're only lifting dust particles after all.

I'm sure if you stuck it onto the sensor too hard and gave it a tug to lift it up again you would probably do some damage.

There are a few sensors where it's advised not to use the eyelead and that was one review from many. (I think it was on Amazon).

That was certain Sony cameras, the product comes with an advisory.

That's an odd website, with no contact details except for an email address. Is it far-east based? And I can't see the width of the swabs, though they all seeem to be the one size. My experience is that you get swabs to suit your sensor, which enables a single wipe across it to avoid the redistribution of gunk ...

Last edited:
i must say i was nervous when it came to doing a wet clean, but i used eclipse fluid on a swab, just put a drop on, swiped it across gently, i had to do mine three times, but then it was all clear, no problems at all.

Don't do you test shot at f32 unless you use f32 day to day! I do my test shot at about f16 as I rarely use anything over f11 so if it's clear enough at f16 it will be fine for me so I avoid the endless pain of trying to get rid of the last splodge!

If it's ONLY dust, & no oil/lubricant, otherwise they can make a right mess!

Does the sensor gel stick clean up oil? Yes, it does, as long as the oil spots are relatively new. If the oil is dated and has become hard on the sensor, you might still need to get the sensor cleaned through thorough wet cleaning. You can either attempt to do it yourself, or you can send your camera in for service, then use the sensor gel stick later to clean up regular dust / new oil spots.
Mansorouv Photography-Life

Mansorouv Photography-Life

gramps, thread here; (look at the pic in post #11) http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/diy-dslr-sensor-cleaning-wet-or-dry.525141/#post-6040994

2nbg2tz.jpg

Last edited:
Carl, there were some Chinese 'knock-off' versions being sold on eBay at one time.
Whatever, that looks a particularly dirty sensor anyway ... I think that if there were major problems with the product it would have received more than one or two comments.
For me it works well, though I have the 'auto-clean' on my camera body and would never let my sensor get as grubby as the one above clearly had to be, there is no way the genuine Eyelead could have transferred that.

gramps, I'm not saying they don't work, or there WILL be any probs, I was just pointing out that they aren't ALWAYS the answer.

The pic above of my mates sensor, after using one of those gel-sticks, is just how it was. Maybe it was very dirty to begin with, I don't know, but clearly they might not be for everyone.

Not sure Elliot, i'll ask next time I see him.
It's a while ago now, but remember when he got it & showed me, it came in a hinged tin box with some sticky cleaning paper type pads. (I was going to get one till I saw the results)

No help but, I wonder how many people go in full guns blazing with sensor pens, fluids and loupes etc and make a mess when just a simple and non invasive rocket blow is all that's needed??

no idea on that one Jim, but I didn't :) Rocket blower was my first try with no effect :-(
Lol, these threads always get me wondering (wasn't saying you made it worse, just a general point, I've been guilty before!)

No help but, I wonder how many people go in full guns blazing with sensor pens, fluids and loupes etc and make a mess when just a simple and non invasive rocket blow is all that's needed??

The problem with using a rocket blower is it can disturb dust elsewhere inside the camera body, I know from experience. So my advice is to steer well clear of using one. from trial and error I found the best method is the one I posted the link for,do it that way and save time being without a camera

Last edited:
The problem with using a rocket blower is it can disturb dust elsewhere inside the camera body, I know from experience. So my advice is to steer well clear of using one
I couldn't think of worse advice TBH! I've only ever needed a 'proper' clean twice, all other times it's just a rocket blow. What's the worse that could happen?

Done properly, and regularly and not letting the dust build up there shouldn't be any issues.

Sorry Jim but you are wrong in every respect, A rocket blower can put pressure on a sensor which is about the worst thing one can do anyway, and no matter how careful or often it is used it will ALWAYS blow a bit of dust around inside a camera body.
So I guess we will have to agree that we disagree. I will stick with using a Loupe and an Artic Butterfly which attracts dust to it without even touching the sensor. If you have an expensive camera then you need quality cleaning products to maintain it

Last edited:
Eyelead are v good, but I can't imagine it cleaning oil spots. I've been using them for a while and it's much easier than a wet clean and almost as good, for me anyway. If you do buy one make sure you don't end up a a knock off else you'll gave bits of gel all over the sensor.

Sorry Jim but you are wrong in every respect, A rocket blower can put pressure on a sensor which is about the worst thing one can do anyway, and no matter how careful or often it is used it will ALWAYS blow a bit of dust around inside a camera body.
So I guess we will have to agree that we disagree. I will stick with using a Loupe and an Artic Butterfly which attracts dust to it without even touching the sensor. If you have an expensive camera then you need quality cleaning products to maintain it
I wouldn't want to go in with loupes and fluids etc when a single blow would do it. I very much doubt you'd damage a sensor with a rocket blower, unless you accidentally make physical contact with it. Mine certainly have never damaged any of my sensors, though I have made a mess with a sensor pen before. I'd expect there's more chance of damaging it by other methods involving direct contact.

I agree good sensor cleaning is sometimes needed, but not for a few innocuous dust bunnies. Especially as a lot of amateurs aren't that proficient with wet cleans, or even things like sensor pens etc.

Last edited:
Jim you are a real gentleman by not having a go at me, thank you. We all have our ways of doing things and the best way is whatever one is comfortable doing. Yes a rocket blower is the cheapest but quite often the cheapest way of doing things is not always the best way. OK a Loupe and Artic Butterfly with everything else is no way cheap by any means, but once owning them they will last a life time.

Originally i did use a blower but going through customs with it on the xray it looked like a hand granade so the bag was taken away and searched, and rightly so.

I couldn't think of worse advice TBH! I've only ever needed a 'proper' clean twice, all other times it's just a rocket blow. What's the worse that could happen?

Done properly, and regularly and not letting the dust build up there shouldn't be any issues.

Some stuff that finds its way onto the sensor is sticky or leaves a residue and although a Rocket is the first thing I always try it doesn't always shift everything. How's a Rocket going to shift a smudge / residue? It isn't, and sometimes a wet clean or sticky pad is required.

I've never needed to do a wet clean of my A7 and I was an early adopter and have had it over a year now, my GX7 has not required a wet clean either and I've only wet cleaned my G1 a couple of times despite many lens changes on all three of those cameras which shows how much anti dust bunny technology has moved on and possibly how much getting rid of the flailing mechanicals helps to reduce debris ending up on the sensor but back when I had my Canon DSLR's they needed very regular cleans, especially the 5D and I must have cleaned my DSLR's dozens of times, maybe into three figures and I never damaged anything.

Done with care and a charged battery :D a wet clean shouldn't be anything to worry about for most people.

Last edited:

I've only ever used a filtered one way rocket blower & never had a wet clean. 450D since 2009 & 5D2 since 2010. I don't even use that often either!!

Originally i did use a blower but going through customs with it on the xray it looked like a hand granade so the bag was taken away and searched, and rightly so.

If that's a true story then it's shocking. For a properly trained operator a rubber rocket should not arouse the slightest suspicion and a bag should never be taken away and searched it should be done in front of you! Have flown literally dozens of times with mine and nobody has ever been interested!

If that's a true story then it's shocking. For a properly trained operator a rubber rocket should not arouse the slightest suspicion and a bag should never be taken away and searched it should be done in front of you! Have flown literally dozens of times with mine and nobody has ever been interested!

Maybe they thought it was a 'rocket' propelled grenade??

I'll get my coat...

Back