setups and shots with home studio setup Thread

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
After a suggestion from dan_yorkshire in one of my previous threads he suggested that we start a thread showing our setups and shots in our home studios with maximum 3 light setups?

So here its is, i look fwd to seeing how others do it

Eddy's Red Hat by GR3Z, on Flickr

Eddy new green top by GR3Z, on Flickr

eddy hold by GR3Z, on Flickr

Setup.

How by GR3Z, on Flickr

Lovely shots... Love the cardboard background reflectors :) can I just !
Ask where you got your big bit of shiny plastic for the floor?

our little ones had the same bouncer, it was ace, they loved it :)

Great shots, great setup. Like you , I look forward to seeing others' setups

Great stuff Graeme, love the first one, the brightness of the red hat works a treat. I should have my 3rd light and background stuff coming soon then I can join in and let the learning begin.

Can I ask which ebay retailer you bought the backdrop and stands from please

Last edited:
Great shots and my little lad had the jumperoo as well..kept him entertained for hours.:LOL:

I like the reflection from the flooring.My m8 works at a perspex factory so he gets me what ever size and colour I want which is a bonus.

here is my 1st attempt with my new lastolite hilite and the set up i used.

6238874412_0d06e4fb5b_z.jpg

And the set up

6238355219_39832d2c12_z.jpg

Andy

Thanks for posting these. As a complete newbie it's very informative to see your set-up. If you don't mind me asking, and I appreciate the sky's the limit, but how much would it cost for a similar set-up (done relatively cheaply).

Thanks for posting these. As a complete newbie it's very informative to see your set-up. If you don't mind me asking, and I appreciate the sky's the limit, but how much would it cost for a similar set-up (done relatively cheaply).

You could set something similar to the top one up for about £200-300 as a minimum if you are using proper nikon/canon ttl cls super-duper speedlights make that £600-700

Baby Jebus said:

My yongnuo flashes were about £30 each, the Background was £40 with white backdrop and my yongnuo triggers were about £30 ish too plus stands for the flashes and then the soft box was £40 it all adds up!!!

here is my 1st attempt with my new lastolite hilite and the set up i used.

6238874412_0d06e4fb5b_z.jpg

And the set up

6238355219_39832d2c12_z.jpg

Andy

In this setup im using the lastolite 6x7 hilite with vinyl train ans the elemental genisis 3 head kit, 2x200w lighting the hilite and a 400w with softbox as the key, just got to get me a sekonic 308s light meter if anyone has one for sale :D

Andy

Some brilliant shots guys(y) so good to see the set ups and the different costs involved. Desperate to get myself a set up, but nervous about how easy they are to use and I am on a tight budget, quite at ease taking shots of the kids in natural light, but this feels like such a big step! Lets see some more, loving this thread!:D

Nice...I like the setup I'd like some proper strobes rather that speedlites they can overheat at times ... Whats the hilite like to put away my setup is a ball ache and not very portable.... What strobes are you using?

forgot to mention greame, i packed the hilite away 1st time with no probs took about 15 mins to set up and 10 mins to take down, jsut watch the video's on the lastolite website and you carnt go wrong......(y)

Andy

Nice shots - all of them on this thread! Andy did you have anything else on the floor apart from the vinyl train? Its looks a very nice smooth shiny floor....

Gr37 - great shots where did you get the soft box from if you don't mind? I'm looking at doing this, I've a background, flash gun and a set of triggers so I only need a few bits more.

Nice shots - all of them on this thread! Andy did you have anything else on the floor apart from the vinyl train? Its looks a very nice smooth shiny floor....

Hi kman, all that is on the floor is the train on top of the carpet, what you must remember though is the subject has no weight to it to make imprints through the vinyl into the carpet, it may be a different matter with people ect, i'm going to go the same route as GR37 using the white tile board if i have probs though or a peice of hardboard ect under the train would work the same but you would'nt get a reflection that way, but i must admit the tile board looks great with the reflection......

Andy

Thanks yeh I think I will look into the tile board idea - the vinyl is a pain to lug around as well - barely fits in my car when rolled up and my car isn't small! Thinking a tile board might be able to do away with the vinyl altogether if it can somehow cover the joins

e902717 said:
Gr37 - great shots where did you get the soft box from if you don't mind? I'm looking at doing this, I've a background, flash gun and a set of triggers so I only need a few bits more.

It was off eBay m8 theres quite a few,

kman said:
Thanks yeh I think I will look into the tile board idea - the vinyl is a pain to lug around as well - barely fits in my car when rolled up and my car isn't small! Thinking a tile board might be able to do away with the vinyl altogether if it can somehow cover the joins

There's always photoshop for the joins that's what I do....

Last edited:
Hi Graeme great thread, I'm just starting out when it comes to flash and backdrops and I find it really interesting to see your set ups and fantastic images.

If its not to much trouble I have abit of a newbie question about how do you meter to get fantastic portraits with the crisp white backgrounds? every time I try I seem to get a very grey or off white colour. do you use a flash/light meter?

CrippledSandwich said:
Hi Graeme great thread, I'm just starting out when it comes to flash and backdrops and I find it really interesting to see your set ups and fantastic images.

If its not to much trouble I have abit of a newbie question about how do you meter to get fantastic portraits with the crisp white backgrounds? every time I try I seem to get a very grey or off white colour. do you use a flash/light meter?

A light meter really isn't needed as long as you have a bit of time on your side.

It's just a matter of trail and error, once you have the lighting of the background correct, note down the output on the lights lighting the background and also the shutter speed and aperture used (ISO should always be at the lowest setting).

Aperture is what alters the brightness of the lights, shutter speed would matter if you had ambient light in the room so minimise ambient to zero if poss.

Next you can arrange the lighting of the subject, if you need to alter the aperture on the camera for the subject key light then alter the background lights accordingly... I.e if the aperture moved a stop from f4.6 to f6 to let less light in, then you would need to turn up the power of the background lights and if it went from f6 to f4.5 which lets more light in, then the background lights would need reducing.

That make sense?

A light meter really isn't needed as long as you have a bit of time on your side.

It's just a matter of trail and error, once you have the lighting of the background correct, note down the output on the lights lighting the background and also the shutter speed and aperture used (ISO should always be at the lowest setting).

Aperture is what alters the brightness of the lights, shutter speed would matter if you had ambient light in the room so minimise ambient to zero if poss.

Next you can arrange the lighting of the subject, if you need to alter the aperture on the camera for the subject key light then alter the background lights accordingly... I.e if the aperture moved a stop from f4.6 to f6 to let less light in, then you would need to turn up the power of the background lights and if it went from f6 to f4.5 which lets more light in, then the background lights would need reducing.

That make sense?

Yeah thanks Dan, can I work in those terms using flashguns as well?

CrippledSandwich said:
Yeah thanks Dan, can I work in those terms using flashguns as well?

Yep, flashguns is all I have and only just got my third light today so fairly new myself.

Will be posting my setup soon once my background arrives.

I did put this is the last thread but now there is a proper thread I will post it in here..

The setup .
setup9.jpg
[/IMG]

A image from the setup.
untitled-32.jpg

Oh and I have lots and lots of w/b images :LOL: Lots & lots :LOL:

Regards MD(y)

Great set up MD, what do you use on the floor? also where did you get that stool in the setup pic from cus im loving it and i want one :)

Andy

Great set up MD, what do you use on the floor? also where did you get that stool in the setup pic from cus im loving it and i want one :)

Andy

Two 8X4 sheets of tile board. The chair was bought from booty £2 :LOL:

(y)

booty lol, thats it i know where im off sunday lol, how much the tile board cost you and what thickness is it?

Andy

booty lol, thats it i know where im off sunday lol, how much the tile board cost you and what thickness is it?

Andy

I belive its about £90 a sheet :nuts: But I picked mine up for free ;) I am just lucky like that...;)

MD(y)

I used to use a sheet of perspex £30 I still do when I shoot on location.!!!!

Liking this thread. I'm about to join in the studio flash setup over the weekend. First timer so will post some setups and hopefully a couple of images for C&Cs. Dodgy Dave loving the setup it looks like some kind of space portal! Did you use a light meter or grey card for the lovely image of the little girl?

Last edited:
Tileboard...... can you elaborate...... or do you mean a wall covering that replaces tiles?

I belive they are used for showers !!!!

Multi pannel I will try and find a linky..

Regards Dave

Linky for Tom.

Back