setups and shots with home studio setup Thread

A soft box will stop the light from spreading as much as a brolly. A more directional light.

Hi,

I'm hoping people are still following this thread, I've learned so much from it.
I got two Lencarta Smartflash and one UltraPro 300 the middle of last year and after setting them up once they have been gathering dust ever since but I have now decided to get my act together and learn the art of lighting.

I love the baby shots that are on the thread and have got together some flooring and a 4' x 4' piece of MDF that is waiting to be wallpapered at the weekend.

I have had a go with the un-papered board and flooring, I'm lighting it with a 120cm Besell Octabox from the right and a 60cm Softbox for fill from the left witch seems to be working quite well.

My problem is that I am strugging to fit in my subject. At the moment it is a small childs wicker chair and a big teddy (I want to get it sussed before I shoot real people). I'm using a full frame camera and a 24-70mm lens. How do you manage with a 4' set up? Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Up until now I've mainly done Wildlife photography but due to a bad back, standing been the problem I need to take my photography in a different direction and Portrait photography is the path I would like to take so I'm hoping the thread will get up and running again because I have lots questions and very eager to learn :)

Thank you, Clare

One point, best to move your fill closer to camera position. The longest lens you have will narrow the amount of background you see. 4' is very small though and will limit what you can fit!

Thanks Jim, I have a 70-200mm so will give that a try at the weekend when I get it set up again. I have thought about making the background board 6' wide but I then run into the problem of weight and storage

Always trade offs lol

Haven't got around to the wall set up again yet but I have had my grandson round for a shoot with the hi-lite and I'm not happy with my results.

I didn't put the train on so put a piece of skirting board so it made it look like a white wall lol. anyway on with my problem...

I slightly underexposed the hi-lite with the intention of using the exposure brush in Lightroom which worked very well so I didn't get spill from the hi-lite on the subject, I used a 120cm Octabox for a main light and a reflective umberella for fill. I tried with just the Octabox to begin with but the left hand side of Jake was always in shadow and I'm after the hi-key look (but with contrasty images)
I feel my images are low in contrast, without the punch I'm after.

I used a light meter and set my main light to f11, 100 iso, 125sec and had my fill at f7ish.

The images look slightly underexposed to me but at the same time washed out so I don't feel I can throw anymore light at them. Is thishow raw images should look and is it a matter of PP or I am what am I doing wrong

Any help very much appreciated thanks

Jake
7S6C4695.jpg
[/IMG]

Same image, tight crop
7S6C4695-3.jpg
http://[/IMG]

The set up.
7S6C4855-2.jpg
[/IMG]

2 things. Move the softbox closer and up slightly so it's at 45 degrees or thereabouts. 2nd move the fill nearer to camera axis.

The exposure isn't bad but there's nothing to stop you adding 1-2 thirds extra to get that punch you want,

Superb Rob!

I've had a go at this myself but struggled with the 4' background to get much of a subject in, only playing with big ted not a real baby. Is your background 4' or wider? Also what focal lengh and setting are you using? If I could get anywhere near the quality of your photo's I would be over the moon :)

Last edited:
2 things. Move the softbox closer and up slightly so it's at 45 degrees or thereabouts. 2nd move the fill nearer to camera axis.

The exposure isn't bad but there's nothing to stop you adding 1-2 thirds extra to get that punch you want,

Thanks Jim,

I've had my grand daughter round today and had another go, I'm still not happy. I have moved to light round a bit but if I up the power of the main and fill light respective I find that the image is washed out and pale even though the histogram is showing it's slightly under exposed. I have also noticed that the histogram on the camera is showing a slightly higher eposure than when I put it into Lightroom :thinking:

This is am image SOOC

7S6C5049.jpg
[/IMG]

And the set up

7S6C5079.jpg
[/IMG]

Superb Rob!

I've had a go at this myself but struggled with the 4' background to get much of a subject in, only playing with big ted not a real baby. Is your background 4' or wider? Also what focal lengh and setting are you using? If I could get anywhere near the quality of your photo's I would be over the moon :)

Thanks! :)

My background is 4' I shoot with a 70-200 and just about manage. Its not easy though.

Keep at it, my photos aren't particularly amazing :LOL:

Rob, these are great. I like the box of cheerios in the setup pic, bribery perhaps?

Thanks, nope not this time. Although I think I may have some cheerios on hand as bribery! The cheerios are another shot i did, something I've wanted to do for ages!! :D

Thanks! :)

My background is 4' I shoot with a 70-200 and just about manage. Its not easy though.

Keep at it, my photos aren't particularly amazing :LOL:

My daughters friend is having a baby in about 6 weeks time so I need to get my background and lighting right ready for a "real" baby lol

Thanks Jim,

I've had my grand daughter round today and had another go, I'm still not happy. I have moved to light round a bit but if I up the power of the main and fill light respective I find that the image is washed out and pale even though the histogram is showing it's slightly under exposed. I have also noticed that the histogram on the camera is showing a slightly higher eposure than when I put it into Lightroom :thinking:

This is am image SOOC

7S6C5049.jpg
[/IMG]

And the set up

7S6C5079.jpg
[/IMG]

First off your background lights are not set at a high enough power. First I'd add 2/3rds more power to your main light and 1 to 1.5 more stops to your background lights.

Last edited:
Been I while since I've posted in here!

'Bella the Baker:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_mank/8500287661/
Bella The Baker by rob_mank, on Flickr

The set up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_mank/8508108410/
The baker - Set up! by rob_mank, on Flickr

120cm Octa Camera right, metered at f8. Bareflash bounced off the wall left metered at f4 as fill.

Rob,

With your set up, where you have your flooring, do you just make the laminate and leave it at that? Or do you put anything else underneath it? Also, the skirting, is that just rested against the mdf background?

Also, can anyone suggest a lightbox for my 580exii? Cant afford going for studio flashes just yet.

I don't have a home studio...I set things up in the living room and tear them down afterwords.

Right now I'm using a 5 x 7 background and a piece of white tile board.

I plan on getting a Lastolite hilite soon though.

here is my set up shot and my result.

8502280713_5acb5f9def_b.jpg

8502271081_187c71672e_h.jpg

so.. would pretty much any flash and external wireless trigger do to light up the bg as in these?... I have got a jessops own nikon flash (although not TTL) and a bog standard £10 flash gun from very early on...
(something simular to this - but the head can hangle up to the ceiling etc...)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miranda-Z...ories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item3ccf4c7549

Would a remote trigger kit such as this one be suitable for flashguns?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30m-Radio...910&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=2&sd=220954674092&

Ive also seen this: for less than £40 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220954674092?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Would somebody suggest this is a waste of money? - or could it be a starting point?
Buy cheap, to learn, or buy expensive for a decent kit...?

My aim is to get some experience taking family shots etc / kids.. using kit which can be built upon over time... Im guessing gaining a remote trigger would be one of my first steps (having two crappy flash guns already... - and buying flash guns next? = or?)

so.. would pretty much any flash and external wireless trigger do to light up the bg as in these?... I have got a jessops own nikon flash (although not TTL) and a bog standard £10 flash gun from very early on...
(something simular to this - but the head can hangle up to the ceiling etc...)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miranda-ZF-3-flashgun-/261175932233?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item3ccf4c7549

Would a remote trigger kit such as this one be suitable for flashguns?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30m-Radio-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-PT-04-f-Canon-Nikon-Pentax-Camera-Speedlight-3R-/120837724722?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5950048969157106910%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D220954674092%26

Ive also seen this: for less than £40 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220954674092?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Would somebody suggest this is a waste of money? - or could it be a starting point?
Buy cheap, to learn, or buy expensive for a decent kit...?

My aim is to get some experience taking family shots etc / kids.. using kit which can be built upon over time... Im guessing gaining a remote trigger would be one of my first steps (having two crappy flash guns already... - and buying flash guns next? = or?)

I wouldn't bother with that lighting gear.

To start with 3 flashguns and a reflector will do you well.

Buy some yongnuo triggers, the cheaper RF-602's are very well regarded.

Your jessops nikon flash will be fine as will your cheap £10 one. It doesn't matter if they are not TTL as you won't be using it.

If you have a plain wall in your house then use that as a background, if not then a cheap eBay backdrop will do for now.

Light the background with anything between 0 and 2 lights leaving at least one for the subject.
If you have two on the background then you will need the reflector to act as a 4th light in some cases to add fill to the shadow side.

Konig light stands are also well regarded for their cheap costs. You'll want some modifiers, and umbrellas are the cheapest but they spill light all around the room. You can combat this by covering the open side of the umbrella or preferably buying a softbox instead, I learnt so much more once I had a softbox, you have so much more control.

Cheap gear will get you started but just don't buy the cheap studio light kits on eBay. You'll soon be spending money replacing them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with that lighting gear.

To start with 3 flashguns and a reflector will do you well.

Buy some yongnuo triggers, the cheaper RF-602's are very well regarded.

Your jessops nikon flash will be fine as will your cheap £10 one. It doesn't matter if they are not TTL as you won't be using it.

If you have a plain wall in your house then use that as a background, if not then a cheap eBay backdrop will do for now.

Light the background with anything between 0 and 2 lights leaving at least one for the subject.
If you have two on the background then you will need the reflector to act as a 4th light in some cases to add fill to the shadow side.

Konig light stands are also well regarded for their cheap costs. You'll want some modifiers, and umbrellas are the cheapest but they spill light all around the room. You can combat this by covering the open side of the umbrella or preferably buying a softbox instead, I learnt so much more once I had a softbox, you have so much more control.

Cheap gear will get you started but just don't buy the cheap studio light kits on eBay. You'll soon be spending money replacing them.

so since you say three flash guns... i would need a third... ? - any particular brand you would suggest?

I have a backdrop stand - although, I found a slightly lilac duvet cover works better than the white backdrop that came with it...

Also got some umbrellas/lights (off ebay).. but only fill lamps... not studio flash...

Google Strobist.com. You'll find a wealth of very useful information about kit and techniques. It's a really useful resource.

Haven't got around to the wall set up again yet but I have had my grandson round for a shoot with the hi-lite and I'm not happy with my results.

I didn't put the train on so put a piece of skirting board so it made it look like a white wall lol. anyway on with my problem...

I slightly underexposed the hi-lite with the intention of using the exposure brush in Lightroom which worked very well so I didn't get spill from the hi-lite on the subject, I used a 120cm Octabox for a main light and a reflective umberella for fill. I tried with just the Octabox to begin with but the left hand side of Jake was always in shadow and I'm after the hi-key look (but with contrasty images)
I feel my images are low in contrast, without the punch I'm after.

I used a light meter and set my main light to f11, 100 iso, 125sec and had my fill at f7ish.

The images look slightly underexposed to me but at the same time washed out so I don't feel I can throw anymore light at them. Is thishow raw images should look and is it a matter of PP or I am what am I doing wrong

Any help very much appreciated thanks

Your main problem is flare, washing out the colours and punch/contrast, caused by the large area of very bright white blasting straight into the lens.

A lens hood probably won't help much, so a) screen off all areas ouside the actual image with boards or black card/paper, and b) use the minimum of over-exposure necessary on the background.

Blown is blown, so 1% over or 1000% over is still pure white. Aim for half a stop over, and don't let any area go more than one stop over. You should be able to get it that even all over the HiLite with two lights inside, but if that's proving tricky just get it right around the main subject area and clean up any grey areas towards the outside in post processing.

The other thing that too much background exposure does is bleach away the subject outline, eating away at fine details like hair and fabrics. You can see this happening in a lot of images throughout this thread.

Jake
7S6C4695.jpg
[/IMG]

Same image, tight crop
7S6C4695-3.jpg
http://[/IMG]

The set up.
7S6C4855-2.jpg
[/IMG]

here is the results of my first try with the hilite! I love it....and I was able to fold it up on the first try... :)

8532810920_d21f4ec10e.jpg

8531823561_a13722c778.jpg

8532806810_0aaa726f22.jpg

Excellent shots, even more so for the first time using it!

Excellent shots, even more so for the first time using it!

thanks very much!

I'm going to try and see how gelling works this week, and see how full length shots do also...I have a window of 30 days to return this for a 6 x 7 so I want to make sure that this size does it for me.

For the record...putting down white tile board and ramping it up to the lastolite seam did a great job...VERY LITTLE clean up in PS....

Here is the result:

8532989594_d4376f891a_c.jpg

here is the results of my first try with the hilite! I love it....and I was able to fold it up on the first try... :)

I folded mine first try on the first time I used it and then the second time took me about 45 minutes. :)

It was only from reading up a bit that I found it is a lot easier if you stand at a certain corner.

I folded mine first try on the first time I used it and then the second time took me about 45 minutes. :)

It was only from reading up a bit that I found it is a lot easier if you stand at a certain corner.

Lol...hopefully that won't happen to me :)

I Have other 5x7 backgrounds and it folds the same way that they do.

thanks very much!

I'm going to try and see how gelling works this week, and see how full length shots do also...I have a window of 30 days to return this for a 6 x 7 so I want to make sure that this size does it for me.

For the record...putting down white tile board and ramping it up to the lastolite seam did a great job...VERY LITTLE clean up in PS....

Here is the result:

8532989594_d4376f891a_c.jpg

The shadow is too dark for me. Nice exposure on the dog though

Hmmm...well...that's easily rectified...better that than no shadow :)

Also...here are my gel test shots..

Only used one light in hilite for the gel shot.

Tried one shot turning the flash power down two stops below key to get grey.

Tried full length shot using tile board just like dog shot.

8534535405_9040339d47_c.jpg

8534536201_4cf61d04ca_c.jpg

8535639712_fec5f749db_c.jpg

:thinking: Background light is too hot, it's bleaching the dog's outline, especially noticeable around the head.

:thinking: Background light is too hot, it's bleaching the dog's outline, especially noticeable around the head.

I think you're right there.

Regards the floor, I like a feint shadow. Anything more just stands out. A large shadow like that is just too much.

I think you're right there.

Regards the floor, I like a feint shadow. Anything more just stands out. A large shadow like that is just too much.

I do agree, but I was afraid of having NO shadow so....I guess I got some fine tuning to do.

just noticing this thread, Great ideas for a home set up. I must try and get my own set up. Is it expensive???

just noticing this thread, Great ideas for a home set up. I must try and get my own set up. Is it expensive???

It depends on what you mean by expensive :)

The Lastolite Hilite 5 x 7 was 377.00 US dollars.

You can do the same thing with 100.00 US dollars worth of vinyl backdrop but it will take more room and it's harder to transport...it depends on what you want to accomplish and what your needs are.

I have a SMALL house and NO studio so I always set things up in the living room and have to tear them down afterwords so I do like the hilite for that.

Back