Shasha at Sunset

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
I took this picture with Shasha standing on this abandoned boat jetty and me about 50 yards away on the main land using a 300mm f2.8 lens as I wanted the sun directly behind her........unfortunately right on Sunset there was cloud cover so we never got the Sun in it full glory.........maybe next time.
Nikon D4s 300mm f2.8
1/250
f16
ISO 100
View attachment 29898

Neil, it looks very soft. Are you sure that's f16, and if so why?

Neil, that does not mean f/16 is necessary. This would have been better shot much wider. You could probably have got away with wide open and improved the shot. I shoot with the sun as a rim light in full on baking sun wide open with no problems.

Of course, sorry, you used OCF. Mmm, if I was getting that kind of diffraction at f16 I'd think about using an ND filter to bring the aperture down a bit.

Or invest in some triggers that let you shoot faster.

The PP that I used (Oil Paint) could of had a effect on the softness.............but anyway it was the best I could come up with under the circumstances

Last edited:
Yeah, it could be the PP for sure. Apart from that your model doesn't look engaged with the shoot and it might have been better to add a touch of CTO gel to balance with the warm light. It's a nice idea but needs work on execution, Neil.

Yeah, it just warms up the light so it balances a little better with the ambient. You don't need much - just 1/4 CTO does the job.

Colour temperature orange
Shaheed I will see what the camera shop has in stock when I asked them about filters they said they didn't have any profoto filters in stock for the B1 heads but liking at a few youtube I guess any kind of filter with some tape would work

Shaheed I will see what the camera shop has in stock when I asked them about filters they said they didn't have any profoto filters in stock for the B1 heads but liking at a few youtube I guess any kind of filter with some tape would work

I've only ever used them with my sb900 (it can with it!). Conversely it was to cool a picture down by fiddling with the white balance!!

I've only ever used them with my sb900 (it can with it!). Conversely it was to cool a picture down by fiddling with the white balance!!

Yes, you can shoot in tungsten in daylight to cool a picture right down and throw some CTO on the flash head to bring it back to daylight. Cool technique.

Back