Shooting for the first time in ages

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Morning

I used to shoot a bit years ago, pics of the kids using the “bedroom wall”

Kids grew older, work got busier and long story short, not shot people portraits for a while.

Had my nephew come up at Xmas so we took a couple of shots. Quickly done in the front room as it was painted a suitable colour Did them just before he left. Boy am I rusty!!

5 mins set up - pulled the sofa back, took the pic off the wall. One light in a pop up soft box and used the pc sync cable straight into the d800. Used a reflector. Vaguely remembered to shoot in manual. Then 5 mins clearing away. Grateful the boss chose a lovely shade of grey for the walls

I’m going to make it a mission to try to shoot more. Deffo don’t need more kit- the d800 and the lencarta smartflash are still very capable. Time/money better spent on being more creative. Whilst I think new kit might be fun for me, I don’t think it’ll improve the output!

Attachments

• DB6822B8-7583-4656-ADFD-18E262E19AC2.jpeg
    DB6822B8-7583-4656-ADFD-18E262E19AC2.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 82
  • FCA16B73-2A6A-4D0F-A21D-A450981F525E.jpeg
    FCA16B73-2A6A-4D0F-A21D-A450981F525E.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Nicely done, you can certainly do a lot with a little. More kit will open up more opportunities in terms of the number of lights you can put to use, but basic gear is usually just fine.

One thing I found really helpful when trying portraiture was the Set.A.Light.3d software. You can put in the number of lights you own, the modifiers you have, and explore lighting setups on your computer before the big day. Then when it's time to set up for an actual portrait, you know exactly where everything needs to be. Very helpful.

Nicely done, you can certainly do a lot with a little. More kit will open up more opportunities in terms of the number of lights you can put to use, but basic gear is usually just fine.

One thing I found really helpful when trying portraiture was the Set.A.Light.3d software. You can put in the number of lights you own, the modifiers you have, and explore lighting setups on your computer before the big day. Then when it's time to set up for an actual portrait, you know exactly where everything needs to be. Very helpful.
Yeah, I used to like drawing little pics and thinking about where I wanted the lights, what modifier to use and what lens/backdrop.

This was a quick set up (and quicker pack away) to grab a shot of my nephew before he left our house!

I’ve got plenty of older lights and modifiers - I’d like newer ones I suppose but am a bit wiser than previously (spending the money won’t really give me more output in terms of quality etc)

Back