Shooting ( shotguns )

First one for me....

I shoot and have a pair of Beretta's - they are soooo hard to photograph well due to length and finding a good angle/background.
Guitars are similar in that way to.

I posted some from a shoot in here a long while ago.. I got the shot coming out of the barrel.. quite a few thought it was fake and tried to say it doesnt even happen.... I posted the pic as I shot it...

exactly!!! and people said i edited mine haha

From 2012

fire.jpg

IMG_1485903689.986722.jpg

Why edit it in ....... it's called timing ..... or pot luck

Why edit it in ....... it's called timing ..... or pot luck
i think it was the flame on mine that some dissbelieved saying it doesnt happen.. obviously did! :)

An internal combustion engine works on a similar explosive principle to a gun, apart from the projectile (piston) is tethered via a connecting rod to a crankshaft, so it (hopefully!) doesn't leave the end of the barrel. So why should anyone doubt seeing a flash of burning exhaust gases from either?

Managed to catch a muzzle blast once, many years ago when I was shooting (no pun intended!) B&W. Not sure if I actually captured the flames but do know that they do exist!

Never managed to catch the Napier Bent flaming up - hope it makes an appearance at the VSCC's Spring hill climb at Wiscombe Park this year, it's not shown for the last couple of years and I need a fresh fix! ("If spotted being driven responsibly, STOP! It's been stolen!" [or words to that effect!!!])

No 9 is my fav, dont know why, it just has something about it, No 2 looks a little bluish ?
Do you know a man called Henry Mason ?

Snip:
Never managed to catch the Napier Bent flaming up - hope it makes an appearance at the VSCC's Spring hill climb at Wiscombe Park this year, it's not shown for the last couple of years and I need a fresh fix! ("If spotted being driven responsibly, STOP! It's been stolen!" [or words to that effect!!!])

I like the wording in the gap in the line under the Napier-Bentley name on the side of the bonnet, which reads "The ultimate laxative"! Sorry about the rather poor quality of the photo, which looks even worse when viewed after those amazingly clear photos of the guns (lovely shots, if you pardon the pun!). It was a quick 'snap' taken several years ago with an old Canon 400D, in the rain, whilst being jostled by the crowd that had gathered to watch the car do its trick! Anyway, just wanted to lend support to the argument that guns can spit fire. (y)

Last edited:
No 9 is my fav, dont know why, it just has something about it, No 2 looks a little bluish ?
Do you know a man called Henry Mason ?

Thanks, i cant say i know Henry Mason, actually number 2 was a colour shot that i edited using split tones in LR and then converted to b/w i did the same with picture 3. On my screen it is edging more towards sepia tones although not full sepia. Number 9 is a stunning looking gun, lovely engraving on the side plates.

I was asked to cover the Longthorne day at a prestigious shoot, Powys Castle, for one of the international shooting magazines....a couple of outakes in the rain.

The beautiful Celtic gun.

Smoke from the other end - just look at the synchronisation on those ejectors. Absolutely perfect.

The Browning Maxus launch, for Browning, some years ago now.

Maltese Tourist Board.....smoke and flames

Just out of interest, many modern cartridges produce no muzzle flash or smoke, they burn much cleaner and much more completely in the barrel now. There is virtually no residue in the barrels either. You can still get dirty shells, but many of the better ones run incredibly cleanly. Felt wads help.

It's been a while since I've used a shotgun in the UK, but I seem to remember that the flash and smoke were largely invisible on a bright, dry, day but the flash could be seen as the light fell, and the smoke was more apparent on a damp day. Most of the instructors I've known rely on spotting the flicker of the shot to confirm where a pupil is shooting.

For fire and smoke, try shooting black powder. It's fun.

Favourite images? Probably 5 & 9. I like S x S guns, and black and white suits the second image. Can anyone identify the sidelock in it?

Thanks, i don't no the make of the sidelock but i may be able to find that out, as you say on colder darker days the smoke is noticeable more. I cant say i've really seen it on a bright sunny day other than when the carts are ejecting, i think a lot is down to the load being used. Black powder is the one for big flames and smoke :)

17 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

It's been a while since I've used a shotgun in the UK, but I seem to remember that the flash and smoke were largely invisible on a bright, dry, day but the flash could be seen as the light fell, and the smoke was more apparent on a damp day. Most of the instructors I've known rely on spotting the flicker of the shot to confirm where a pupil is shooting.

For fire and smoke, try shooting black powder. It's fun.

Favourite images? Probably 5 & 9. I like S x S guns, and black and white suits the second image. Can anyone identify the sidelock in it?

Number 5 is a Westley Richards
Number 9 looks like an EJ Churchill - 9 pin sidelock, very nicely made.

Whatever makes they are, they are beautiful machines. Love decent shotguns. Only ever fired 10 shots as part of an experience at the British Grand Prix 2 years ago. Got 6 out of the 10 (very easy) clays so quite happy.
Oh and your camera work ain't half bad either... :)

1 and 7 are my favourites from the first set and I also really like Lensflare's second pic (y)

Really didnt know where to post these, but as shooting is a sport....
Reminds me a chap I vaguely knew at university (friend of a friend of a friend), quite possibly the poshest person I've ever met. He'd seen the admissions people when doing the rounds and one had asked him, "so, do you play any sport?"

"I shoot and fish", he replied, "but I don't hunt."

"No, no, I mean football or rugby!"

"Ah, you mean games!"

Back