Sigma 120-400

Got one to take to Kenya with me and very pleased with the results at home so far, I would have loved a Canon but could not afford that one :(

I am in Oxford if you are down this way you are more than welcome to come and try it out if you like(y)

Photos sent.

Paul, I have this lens and love it. Have a look here for some shots I took on Sunday at Donington with it. All of the on track stuff is using the Sigma 120-400mm. Loads more on my Flickr, the vast majority taken with this lens.

Viper, it loosens up a little with use. I've taken around 12,000 shots through mine now and it is much easier to zoom.

Check out this thread, someone asked a similar question.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=153875

These long sigma zooms are OK if the lights good, but there performance falls off very quickly when the light conditions aren't perfect, reason, well they're f6.3 masking as a f5.6 lens, they cheat the camera and also not really a 500mm lens more 450mm, but at the end of the day, is all about budget and getting the lens for your $$$. But also have a think about the sigma 100-300mm f4 and a 1.4x TC or canon 100-400mm.

The 120-400mm performs ok in low light conditions. Wide open, f5.6 at 400mm the IQ is not brilliant, but nothing that can't be brought back in PP. But then it is half the price of the Canon 100-400mm L, and better in many ways.

Have to agree with the above posts.

It's a great lens! i would have loved a 100-400L as that's what i hired for safari earlier this year, but seeing the Sigma was less than half the price for very similar performance, I went with that.

here are some shots from the Fairford air tattoo this year, taken in bad weather and bad light - still came out reasonably good for the conditions I thought :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weetobix/sets/72157621600804077/

Well thanks to all you guys advice I went and made a purchase this morning. Looked at both of the Sigma's 120-400 and 150-500 and the Canon 100-400L and whilst the Canon was a superb lens I just couldn't justify the price so opted for the Sigma 120-400.

Looking forward to taking it out in the morning for a few shots at the local deer park, and maybe some moon shots tonight if it stays clear.

Back