Sigma 150-500mm as macro lens...

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
:eek:

A few have asked how close you can get with it so thought I'd experiment.

Tried a 1.4x TC and got a shot at 700mm. See flickr for full exif and focal length

No Crops

1. 700mm with 1.4x TC

IMG_4711
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_4705
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_4852
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Closest focus

IMG_4845
by bthomas124, on Flickr

IMG_4843
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Closest focus

IMG_4838
by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Next test tubes.... lol

:ty:

I tested my new 200-400mm with the 1.4x tc and with a 25mm extension tube and it works quite well :) Still get 6-7 meters of AF distance so it's good for Butterflies and Dragonflies etc and maybe even closer small birds

Looking good Bryn :)
am viewing on a small screen but they look nice and sharp to me
it looks like a great set up for dragonflies and larger butterflies, maybe not large enough in the frame for damselflies as the blue ones are smaller than the demoiselles
will be interesting to see how tubes work on the Sigma
it's amazing that you are still seeing banded demoiselles I was watching those in May

ahhh. cool !! What sort of distance were you away from these bryn? :)

About 8-10 ft. IQ no where near other lenses for this size of subject but is great for skittish ones. Got 100+ images from last 2 days to go through so will post best.

About 8-10 ft. IQ no where near other lenses for this size of subject but is great for skittish ones. Got 100+ images from last 2 days to go through so will post best.
I think Bryn was sitting in his sitting room on his fav rocking chair taking these shots, great for days when you don't want to step outside.
PS. Great shots and 1st shot is fab. :D:D:D;););)

I've done something similar with my 70-200 sigma and 2x TC
it's perhaps not actual macro but just extreme close-up!
seems to work a treat, in good light.

Yeah your right not Macro but definitely Close Up

I tested my new 200-400mm with the 1.4x tc and with a 25mm extension tube and it works quite well :) Still get 6-7 meters of AF distance so it's good for Butterflies and Dragonflies etc and maybe even closer small birds

That is the next test but my that would make the lens even more huge... a handheld nightmare.

I took the following with a Nikon AF-S 300mm f2.8VR with a TC14Ell , so effectively at 420mm

It is a big heavy lens with a closest focusing distance of just over 7ft …….. I use this lens a lot and for me it is more effective than the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR Micro

Beautiful_D_female.jpg

That is the next test but my that would make the lens even more huge... a handheld nightmare.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd ever try it handheld :/ I deploy two legs of my tripod and use it as a bipod which lets me move forward/back if necessary without any rocking left/right

I took the following with a Nikon AF-S 300mm f2.8VR with a TC14Ell , so effectively at 420mm

It is a big heavy lens with a closest focusing distance of just over 7ft …….. I use this lens a lot and for me it is more effective than the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR Micro

Beautiful_D_female.jpg
Wow Bill thats a beaut of a shot and with a boarder, I've noticed Bryn has been slipping boarders on his pics. ;):eek:

Wow Bill thats a beaut of a shot and with a boarder, I've noticed Bryn has been slipping boarders on his pics. ;):eek:

How very dare you Graham... "birders" I mean borders will never be part of my photography! Lmfao

Back