sigma 150mm or canon 100

Name
bill
Edit My Images
Yes
trying to decide which one to go for a sigma 150 2.8 or a canon 100mm 2.8. not sure of the differences between the 2 can anyone help please
thanks
Bill

Presumably you mean the Canon 100mm L?

Both are excellent lenses, but your choice will be down to your main use. If you are shooting flighty insects like butterflies, dragonflies etc in the field I'd recommend the Sigma. If you are shooting general macro, including smaller bugs, flowers etc then the Canon wins.

The Canon is smaller, lighter and probably has a better IS system. Both lenses suffer a reduction in IS performance as you approach 1:1 magnification. However, the working distance is shorter than the Sigma, which can scare off insects more readily. The Sigma is heavy, but has an decent tripod mount - I use mine on a monopod rather than a tripod as it is more flexible - which makes portrait format shots easy. Can't comment on differences in sharpness, but can vouch that the Sigma is top class.

actually i didnt mean the L version as i dont think prices between the L and the sigma are comparable, trying to get an idea of the differences of 2 lenses of a similar price.
thanks for the reply tho

actually i didnt mean the L version as i dont think prices between the L and the sigma are comparable, trying to get an idea of the differences of 2 lenses of a similar price.
thanks for the reply tho

I'd asumed it was the 100L v Sigma 150 OS as well.
The advice is pretty much the same, personally I'd go for the Sigma 150mm. I use a Canon 100L but often use it along with a 1.4x extender, and it'd be nice to have the focal length without the extender between the lens and the camera ;). That's on full frame though.
They are both very capable lenses though and either will provide very good results.

The 100mm L and the 150mm are currently the same price in WEX.

Personally, I'd go for the Sigma 105mm HSMII.

It's a belter of a lens.

150 creates much nicer background rendering as it is longer. 100 focuses much quicker. It's a personal choice between the two

I had the non IS Sigma 150mm and apart from the bulk and weight I loved it. It too was slow to focus and I suppose it depends what you're using it for but for stuff like macro and even landscape, still life or portrait this possibly wont be an issue or indeed the user may be focusing manually. When using AF the focus range limiter thingy may help to speed things up.

I can only comment on the Sigma 150, it is a very nice lens, others have said focus can be a bit slow and hunt sometimes but that can be said for most macros.

Back