princeclan

Suspended / Banned
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Anyone got a Sigma 17-70mm lens?

If so what do you think of it? Is it optically good?

Matt

It is indeed a nice and sharp lens.
And the macro is quite good too!

Picked mine up a few weeks ago from these forums. Really happy with it. Expect to pay £150-175 for a mint used one.

My Sigma 17-70 is my main walk around lens and it attached to my camera more than any of my other lenses. I wish it was 2.8 throughout but other than that I'm extremely happy with it.

I have used one for 18 months iirc and love it to bits however by the end of july its going to be repalced by the 24-70 f/2.8

check out the flickr group for examples if you are unsure.

i have a 17-70,and it's a cracking lens for the money IMO.although mine now only gets used for landscape shots if i need the width/height since getting the 24-70 F/2.8.it also does a pretty good job of close up shots.....the only failing for me was the lack of a constant F/2.8,but what do you expect for that money...:D

Great lens, I loved mine but sadly it had to make way for the 17-55

Just got mine today and its pouring with rain.

I've done a couple of test shots in the house and it looks really good. The close focusing is fantastic.

Hopefully I'll get a better chance over the weekend to test it properly.

I have this lens, and although I havent shot much with it I'm liking it. Great close focus capabilities, can be sharp, but at 17mm I've seen poorer results.
It seems its not quite as good as the 17-50mm F2.8, but the difference isn't very notorious. If you end up bumping into those 50mm many times, it might be the better option.
I would prefer it to be F3.5 at 70mm, I dont ask for more *** it'd be too big and heavy.

I had one and the focus was out. I have been put off Sigma as many reviews seem to say that the build quality is not consistant. If you get a good one then yes they are very good as many people love theirs but i just don't want to take the risk.

Back