Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 ASPHERICAL RF APO DG

Edit My Images
No
Looking to purchase a Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 ASPHERICAL RF APO DG for use with my Canon 40D.
Does any one have one of these lens?
Looking for feed back on it's performance thanks.

Zuluu.

Any reason you chose this lens?

It would be way down on my list....

I have it. It's quite a solid performer with reasonable light.
It's a handfull but not the heaviest lens I've held. I can probably find some example shots if you want.

My mate has one and he finds that anything over 450mm is too soft. He has got some great images from it but nothing that i have seen that is spectacular.

The one thing he really doesnt like is the fact you cant lock the zoom as when carying it around you have to watch out the lens doesnt extend and hit something.

I have the non DG version, its not a bad lens but there are better out there at a price ( I paid 300 usd for mine state side when on a business trip), I have had some good results with it but it can be a bit slow

Thanks to all the replies, It's given me food for thought. Wait and save looks like a good option.

My mate has one and he finds that anything over 450mm is too soft. He has got some great images from it but nothing that i have seen that is spectacular.

The one thing he really doesnt like is the fact you cant lock the zoom as when carying it around you have to watch out the lens doesnt extend and hit something.

The lens does lock and mine is sharp thru out..

Last year I wanted to buy a telephoto and I tested the Sigma 170-500 against the Sigma 50-500 and the Canon 100-400. I thought the Canon totally blew away both the Sigmas in every way imaginable - build quality, ergonomics, functionality, image quality.

But I couldn't justify buying one.

The lens does lock and mine is sharp thru out..

just to make sure i'm not going mad are we talking about the same lens link

and quotes from the page.
the lens does shoot sharper at shorter zooms,
I will say this that you may have a good copy and the poor ones suffer from this..

The lack of a lens lock is sometimes annoying

Back