Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to replace my broken kit lens (18-55mm) for my Nikon D90.
I was all set to purchase a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 plus a 35mm f1.8 but came across the 18-35mm.
The combination of the 17-50 & 35 comes in cheaper than the 18-35 but I like the idea of an "all in one" solution.
I'm sorted for the 50mm focal range with my 50 1.8

I suppose what I'm asking is, is the 18-35 good enough to justify the extra bit of money for the sake of carrying one less lens?
I've previously owned a 35 1.8 which I loved, so if I can get similar performance from the Sigma I'll be very happy.

It's definitely sharp and to have f/1.8 on a zoom lens is previously unheard of. I think it's a great lens for general kinda photography including landscapes, family photos and a lot of other stuff. Great low-light performance too. One downside is the price (arguably), and that it's a bit on the heavy side (something like 840 grams?).

I would recommend it.

to have 18mm 1.8 is pretty unique too
the new sigma lenses really have a nice feel too

It's basically the only way to get f/1.8 at wider than 24mm. If that's something you think you'll put to use, there's no question - buy the 18-35.

It's basically the only way to get f/1.8 at wider than 24mm. If that's something you think you'll put to use, there's no question - buy the 18-35.

Apart from the f1.8 wide primes that are available.

I had the Sigma 20mm f1.8 and always thought it was a good lens, this zoom is probably optically better though.

Apart from the f1.8 wide primes that are available.

I had the Sigma 20mm f1.8 and always thought it was a good lens, this zoom is probably optically better though.
There's only a few, really, and those will most likely be either more expensive than, or optically inferior to, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.
In fact, a quick B&H search for lenses in the Nikon F-mount that are wider than 24mm, only brought up the Sigma 20mm f/1.8. It costs $599, and only at f/2.8 does it become on par with the 18-35mm wide open (according to a quick DxOMark comparison, which doesn't say a ton, but is a good indication for relative lens performance when disregarding the overall score).

Thanks for the replies. I bit the bullet in the end and the Sigma dropped through the letter box Monday morning. Not had chance to give it a proper try yet other than a few snaps of the kids in the garden yesterday.
What I've seen so far I've been impressed with.

Back