Edit My Images
Yes
274686517_901ec2df89_o.jpg

250th f2.8
274686466_279bf1e5cc_o.jpg

250th f2.8
274686424_195ec59a3b_o.jpg

250th f4.0 and through DxO
All cropped at original resolution to about 1/3 to 1/2 original frame - fit to size and saved no other "shopping" then uploaded. All 200ASA setting
All tripod and auto focus trying to aim at the eye.

Sitting back and waiting comments now I had half decent light - but still shaded by the birch.​

the first one is my fav of these, i think i got to get me a bird feeder

Hmmm, maybe there's something wrong with my monitor but these don't seem to be sharp at all to me Fangman...sorry. :(
I've noticed your other recent posts of garden birds with the 70-200 and they looked soft too, but no one else seemed to comment, so I thought it must be me. :shrug:
Am I missing something with these shots or are they crops? If they are cropped images it would maybe be helpful to see the uncropped version too so we know how much they'd been cropped.
Again, maybe its just me being daft (probably :D ), but they don't look sharp on my screen.

Rich :)

edit: ummm, I've just re-read your post and see you DID say you'd cropped them (me daft), but I still think it would be helpfull to see uncropped images so we had a true idea of the lens quality

I started typing something similar to rickmezza then changed my mind as you posted this in sharing and not in a hardware discussion area.

I would have expected more from that lens in terms of sharpness too. Do you have any from it that stand out as sharp and crisp yet?

Actually for some time now I've wanted to comment on Phil's bird pics, but I've kept my gob shut for fear of offending, as I know he's no newcomer to the game. The quality of his bird pics though is strangely at odds with the great stuff he posts on other subjects, and I know he loves his bird photography.

Anyway Phil I did a quick edit of your sparrow shot.

Phil.jpg

It stood quite a lot of sharpening, I've adjusted the levels for a bit more contrast and run noise reduction on the background, although the noise wasn't excessive anyway.

I'm sure there's nowt at all wrong with that lens, you seem to be omitting the necessary sharpening process after resizing shots for web viewing?

Although it's a personal taste thing, I wouldn't crop that tight, but try to show a bit more of the birds's surroundings which is usually better than trying to fill the frame too tight.

Hope that helps Phil. :)

Phil - are you shooting through glass (not Canon - Everest Greenhouse or summat)? I can't imagine it's just a processing thing as your other shots are sharper than these..... mystery! :shrug:

As I said - no processing or sharpening whatever on these shots. Some time back i was told off for over sharpening so have kept it to a minimum - but these were purely as shot. No not taken through glass - open to the elements!

274716516_8049577b4f_o.jpg

Try the well stuffed dove!

The others were as shot through an OPEN window and cropped as stated. No sharpening or processing. In the past was told off for over sharpening so usually keep it to a minimum but can see the benefits as the seem softer when saved to the web and seen in a forum.

thats quite sharp. Have a look in the tutorials for Post Processing and have a go at it, it will improve the displayed versions no end

Ok then! My guess is......

f2.8 on a 200mm (300+ mm on a Canon cropped sensor) is really a dodgy combination :( The depth of field is SO limiting, accuracy with focussing is of paramount importance. Also, 1/250 is too slow for guaranteed, shake free shots hand held.

Solution:

Use a tripod, smaller aperture and more accurate (if necessary) manual (it could be the lighting so flat the autofocus can't cope) focussing......

Tripod and cable released used. I will use a smaller aperture if I can persuade the little b...grs to feed in better light! Often use -1 or -2 stops fill in flash. Thanks for all the suggestions - gets int a useful tutorial with personal mentors - and any of you that know me - it would take a lot to offend having spent a life in a hated proffession! Keep the comments coming on anything I post or edit away especially if you tell what you did which is helpful for a lot of us out there.

Tripod and cable released used. I will use a smaller aperture if I can persuade the little b...grs to feed in better light! Often use -1 or -2 stops fill in flash. Thanks for all the suggestions - gets int a useful tutorial with personal mentors - and any of you that know me - it would take a lot to offend having spent a life in a hated proffession! Keep the comments coming on anything I post or edit away especially if you tell what you did which is helpful for a lot of us out there.

Ah!... I suspect the culprit here is your cable release Phil.

I don't see how you can possibly use a cable release for wildlife shots unless the critters are stuffed and mounted. It's critical to stay focused on the same spot - the eye usually.

I'll tell you what I do: -

Mount the camera on a tripod, but slack off the head so you can move the camera in any direction (keeping hold of the camera obviously) A ball head is fine - a three way head will drive you crackers.

Enable just the centre AF spot and servo focusing.

When an opportunity presents itself - place that AF spot over the critter's eye. With the head being slacked off you'll be able to keep track of any movement and the servo focusing should maintain focus. Press the shutter button as you would normally. Obviously the shutter speed should be enough to overcome the twitching and head movement of these birds. With the camera tripod mounted, even though your holding the camera, you'll be a lot steadier than just hand holding (no pod).

If you use a cable release there's far too much opportunity for head movements etc from the bird before you take the shot. Even if you have all the AF points selected to cover the movement, you've no idea which AF spots the system will choose to use and the likelihood of maintaining focus on that eye is slim.

Try it Phil- see how you get on. :)

Hated profession? My dentist is a lovely little feller.

Much as I usually use - but sometimes use the cable for the doves as they spot any movement and pre focus where I know where they will be as their head comes up. Centre spot and servo selected. I was experimenting with all selected panning - but then only found it worked with the subject against a clear sky and nothing to distract the focus. Just looked back - only the last shot was cable rest as you describe.

Back