Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG

raythefab

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Id love to buy one of these but there seems to be a lot of negative comments about this lens, one of the comments ive read is, its a cracking lens if you get a good one, how do sigma get away with this shouldnt they all be the same Quality:thinking:

Its not just the build quality, generaly its half of the buggers are soft however i was lucky and got a sharp 28-70 which are meant to be even worse for it.

If you do get a soft one its just a case of doing the sigma shuffle, send it back for recalibration and check it when it arrives again

I'm sure this is overplayed, I know a number of people who have this lens (myself included) in different mounts and none appear to have this problem. Indeed, I have 4 Sigma lenses and all have been spot on.

If you do get a soft one its just a case of doing the sigma shuffle, send it back for recalibration and check it when it arrives again

Surely, you are only talking about purchasing 2nd hand? If you have any issues with a lens it should go straight back to the dealer for replacement.

FWIW, I've owned a 30mm f/1.4 (twice), a 50mm f/1.4, a 50-150mm f/2.8 and have used a neighbour's 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8. No isssues with any of them.

The Sigma 'issues' are well documented in this and many other forums. Most of the issues you read about on the faster lenses are most likely user error IMHO. Sure there are times when issues are genuine, however this also applies to OEM and mainstream manufacturers. :)

It seems strange to start a thread over a potential purchase and then lay in to Sigma over what you have read. :thinking:

Surely, you are only talking about purchasing 2nd hand? If you have any issues with a lens it should go straight back to the dealer for replacement.

FWIW, I've owned a 30mm f/1.4 (twice), a 50mm f/1.4, a 50-150mm f/2.8 and have used a neighbour's 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8. No isssues with any of them.

The Sigma 'issues' are well documented in this and many other forums. Most of the issues you read about on the faster lenses are most likely user error IMHO. Sure there are times when issues are genuine, however this also applies to OEM and mainstream manufacturers. :)

It seems strange to start a thread over a potential purchase and then lay in to Sigma over what you have read. :thinking:
Why is it strange to ask this question do we keep quiete because it suits you people ask questions like this for advice, if i buy a new lens i dont want to waste my time going back to the shop till i get a good one:(

Why is it strange to ask this question do we keep quiete because it suits you people ask questions like this for advice, if i buy a new lens i dont want to waste my time going back to the shop till i get a good one:(

That's not what I was saying (and I think you know that). :)

You posted a question about a lens and immediately said about why can Sigma let iffy lenses through the net. I responded that it can and does happen with all manufacturers (granted some are on different scales).

When I have purchased a lens at a shop, I test it there and then, as would most people in that situation.

I have this lens and I am very happy with it optically. I know it comes in one or two versions, mine is the 82mm filter size non-motor. Love it now after first thinking it was a mistake. However it is a bit cumbersome for me and not always the quickest and natural to use. The zoom lens and the focus ring seem to be the wrong way around bearing in mind generally it is used on autofocus and hence I would prefer a zoom ring to be bigger and further away from the body.

I also have a Sigma 18-50 f2.8. Both these are very sharp f4 onwards mainly.

Some people have suggested the 24-70mm isn't good enough for a D700 but i guess that depends on whether you can afford a Nikon 24-70 or not!

I use this lens quite a bit. Using it on the 40d the AF can be hit and miss, it locks on then "bounces off" slightly. Maybe takes another tap of the AF button to get it perfect.

However on the 1d its noticeably quicker and doesnt bounce, Im wondering if its maybe something to do with the firmware version on the lens? The 1dmkii is a good bit older than the 40d and would better match the age of the lens???

Have to say though once locked on its sharp as a very sharp thing wide open and improves a little at f4

I use this lens on a D300 and love it. Its a bit weird in that at its shortest focal length, the lens is at its longest, but you soon stop noticing. Its sharp as a pin and my only small crit is that in very low light it can hunt a bit before finding focus, but as I have said before, its when light is so low the tripod is usually out and I can manually focus anyway if needs be.

Yes it will work fine. If a Sigma lens has 'DC' in its name, it is designed for cropped-sensor camera's.

Excellent - thank you all. I am new to Nikon and with Canon was aware that if you used the wrong lens on a FF body, it would smash the mirror??

This lens would be OK on a D700?? I can't find where to confirm it?

Yup, works just fine on a D700 and mine doesn't hunt like Yv's does on her D300. Like others here, I've got several Sigma lenses bought both new and second hand and not had a QC issue with any of them.

BTW, mine is also the non-HSM version of the lens - IIRC, Puddleduck was a little unimpressed with the HSM version.

Back