Sigma 30mm f1.4 v Canon EF 28mm f1.8

akr

Name
Al
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

Whilst originally I was considering a Tamron17-50mm f2.8 I've decided I'd like a slightly faster lens (f2 or faster) so I'm now considering:

1) Sigma 30mm f1.4
2) Canon EF 28mm f1.8

My main purpose would be to take pictures of my nephews and nieces (ages 2-8 - 4 of them!) and family indoors without flash. I have the 50mm f1.8 but I find this a bit long on my 40D in the house. I also have both my brother and sister's weddings coming up in the next 12 months so would like to use the lens for that as well.

So I would like good AF (for tracking the rapidly moving young ones) and relatively silent AF (for the weddings).

I'm not planning on going FF any time soon though if there is nothing in it I'd get the Canon as you never know what the future holds!

I've ready plenty of bad stuff on the Sigma's quality control / focusing issues, but these appear to be resolved after sending it in for a recalibration.

Could anyone advise which they think would be best for this use?

Thank in advance, and if you're still up reading this you should be in bed or out drinking! ;)

Al

Gentle bump as this was posted mucho late last night

I used to have the Sigma 30 1.4, in preference to the Canon, which I got because it's a good walkabout focal length on crop format, and I wanted a fast lens. It was very good, but I just never used it. I believe the Canon 28 1.8 is also very good.

Apart from that, I wonder if 28-30mm is too wide for what you want - too wide for head and shoulders portraits that's for sure.

I tried out the Sigma f/1.4 last weekend (well, Thurs - Tues). It's a great lens, sharp, performs better wide open than my Nikon 50mm f/1.4 - which I too found a bit tight on my D90. Build quality on the Sigma is solid (twice the price of the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 though).

Thanks both, looks like the Sigma and that seems to be the general feedback.

I think I'll be ok in that range, the 50 is def too long but I'll do some futher analysis before I commit.

Thanks

al

Back