Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART reviewed

I just wish they would redo the 85mm in a similar vein.

Maybe they will. They've done 35mm and now 50mm f1.4's so maybe 85mm is next?

Personally I thought that the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 was as good a 50mm as I'd ever need and their old 85mm was/is IMVHO even better so even if I'd kept my 5D and lenses (I now have Sony A7 and MFT) I wouldn't have been tempted to replece them and I do wonder what extra these new very high performance lenses bring in real world shooting.

Supposedly a 25th April release date on Canon mount for about £800 for the 50mm. A Sigma ART line of a 24mm f/1.4 and new 85mm f/1.4 and a 135mm f/2 or even f/1.8 would be nice. I could see Sigma doing it, although like all Sigma products I'm wary if the quality control is as strict as the reviews are positive.

I will pick one up without doubt, but not until the price has settled down a bit. In terms of IQ and focus speed/accuracy, the Sigma 35 is the best lens I've had the pleasure of owning. The problem is I just don't use the 50mm focal length enough to justify the launch price, which I'm guessing will be around the £850-900 mark.

Last edited:
I'd love to get one but can't afford it. Hopefully it might reduce the price of the old 50mm f1.4 and I might pick up one of them instead

I haven't. Might wait to see if the early adopters get stung first with lemons or a bad batch. They'll come down in price quickly like most Sigma gear, although the price point new is tempting.

I do wonder if Sigma have missed a trick here. With so many prime shooters nowadays to me it makes more sense to release an 85mm first then 50 later.

I'll wait for the dust to settle but I could be tempted by this. But I'd love an 85mm Art I'd this is the performance to expect x

I do wonder if Sigma have missed a trick here. With so many prime shooters nowadays to me it makes more sense to release an 85mm first then 50 later.

I'll wait for the dust to settle but I could be tempted by this. But I'd love an 85mm Art I'd this is the performance to expect x

Because I bet you they sell a LOT more of their 50mm lenses than than 85mm lenses.

You ask anyone, what is my first prime lens I should get - 50/1.8. Always.

50mm is normally the starting point because it is versatile, and for most people who don't know their head from their feet in composition and have been using zooms and now suddenly found themselves needed to use their feet, the 50mm is a good starting point.

Plus they refreshed their 85mm (although not ART) about 3-4 years ago, which is nothing in a lens' life term and would make more people unhappy than happy by refreshing that already.

So, it makes more sense to make a 50 and it makes no sense to make a new 85. They would probably do a 135mm next, and a 24 then going back to the 85.

Because I bet you they sell a LOT more of their 50mm lenses than than 85mm lenses.

You ask anyone, what is my first prime lens I should get - 50/1.8. Always.

50mm is normally the starting point because it is versatile, and for most people who don't know their head from their feet in composition and have been using zooms and now suddenly found themselves needed to use their feet, the 50mm is a good starting point.

Another reason for that would be cost - The 50mm 1.8 usually comes in at sub £100.

I just can't help thinking it's overpriced for what it is. The Canon 50 L series can be had for not much more and the optics are excellent on that and it's faster. I tried a 50 L at a show on my 70D and struggled with getting the focus spot on when wide open. It was better with my 5D3 using the small focus points but I don't use/need the small DOF often enough to go for anything more expensive than my Canon 50 f1.4.

I just can't help thinking it's overpriced for what it is. The Canon 50 L series can be had for not much more and the optics are excellent on that and it's faster. I tried a 50 L at a show on my 70D and struggled with getting the focus spot on when wide open. It was better with my 5D3 using the small focus points but I don't use/need the small DOF often enough to go for anything more expensive than my Canon 50 f1.4.

Well, the reviews so far suggests the optics are Zeiss league, which is the best lens ever made. That's some claim, how many % that is better than the Canon remains to be seen but on paper, you are getting a £4,000 lens for less than 50L money.

That is a good deal.

Secondly, like you said, you struggle to get focus spot on wide open, if the Sigma is better then that alone is worth it, not overpriced for what it is. You can't put a price no a well timed and in focus shot. You miss it and its gone.

As for not needing the small DOF, that's a personal thing, if you don't need it then you are not looking at any of these lenses so it really doesn't apply here.

This lens is target at those who wants the best 50mm AF lens every made, 50/1.2 or 50/1.4, it's half a stop. I have the 85/1.2 and use that a lot but I never wise my Canon 50/1.4 have that extra half a stop, what I always wanted is better AF (the USM on the 1.4 is not in the same league as an L), and that i wish the lens is bigger. I don't find it comfortable without the hood as it is too short.

As for the grand scheme of things, its around £750 from B&H after Duties and Tax, for a L level quality lens, which is actually really really cheap.

Last edited:
I've just got the 35 art and it's very nice so far, so I'm very tempted to get this. Ah who am I kidding, I'm getting it :D I've seen a lot of VERY good photos with test copies, and if that holds true it'll be a fantastic buy. I haven't had a need for 50mm on FF in 2 years, but as soon as they announced this lens, I've found several occasions where it would have been perfect. Coincidence? :D

It looks a good deal for what you are getting, although people with the 35 may skip it as 50 and 35 are seen as being a bit close to each other.

I just can't help thinking it's overpriced for what it is. The Canon 50 L series can be had for not much more and the optics are excellent on that and it's faster.

I looked at a test of the 50L f1.2 linked on another site and I have to say that the performance of that lens looks quite poor indeed at wide apertures and I think I agree with the view that this lens exists to offer the wide aperture. Anyway...

Link to the other site, contains graphs etc. and further links...
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=88978.0

As I said earlier in this thread, the old Sigma 50mm f1.4 was/is as good a lens as I'd ever need and indeed I'm quite happy with a Rokkor 50mm f1.4 these days but for those wanting one of the best lenses on the market this Sigma Art must make sense as if the reviews and comments we've seen so far are on the money it offers near best you can buy optical quality at a much more reasonable price and offers AF too.

Last edited:
I have one on pre order and am really looking forward to its arrival. ETA is on or around 25th of this month so not long to wait!

I have read just about every review/preview currently written about this lens and "to a man" it has been very, very well received. Sigma have really pulled their socks up during the past couple of years and are starting to produce some first class optics. Now if Canon would just hurry up and release the 7D mk2 ( I have been waiting for this for what seems like a bloody eternity!) I will be a very happy, but slightly skint, bunny!

Andy

will certainly be getting on later in the year, was a Nikon snob until we did side by side testing of the 35/1.4's - just wish that something would happen about the 135/1.8 art lens that was rumoured previously, and a 24mm would be nice too :)

It looks a good deal for what you are getting, although people with the 35 may skip it as 50 and 35 are seen as being a bit close to each other.

That would be me. I have the 35, and don't see much point to getting a 50 alongside. If they do an 85, I will get excited though. But for now my cheap and cheerful 1.8G is brill in it's own right.

I have 24L / 35L/ 50/1.4/ 85L / 100L / 135L

Close together? what?? never !

Sigma 50 art on Order.

Tried the 50L today too.

IgDaLeh.png

rr7XByp.jpg

I have a 14, 21, 24, 35, 50, 55, 60, 85, 100, 200 and a 70-200 to fill in the gap. All of them give me something different though even though some are close together in focal lengths.

I forgot to say i have a 45mm too :p So that's 35/45/50....someone's head is going to explode lol

Hell, i have two 85mm lenses !

And then zooms from 16mm to 200mm.

Seriously though, they all serves a purpose and they are all different.

Last edited:
I have 2 x 24mm, 2 x 28mm, 1 x 35mm, 4 x 50mm, 2 x 85mm and 2 x 135mm.

I have been using only my canon 50/1.4 for the past week here in Hong Kong on holiday. I have been to this city quite a few times, shot it with a 16-35, 35L and 45/TS, even once a 50mm on crop (so 85mm eqv). i only ever bring 1 lens with me.

I found this time the 50mm being quite difficult to get a shot that i love, having to work a little harder. I mean i've shot some nice images but I think i prefer 35mm the best. I also think that the canon 50/1.4's sweet spot is f/2.0. Focusing is also more hit and miss than the 35L. I am expecting great things with this Sigma when it arrives.

UNAKeF4.jpg

FduJywx.jpg

LJmjCAn.jpg

qOwu7BD.jpg

kZtJJBk.jpg

jdyOUEU.jpg

Not long now, it shows in Stock :D

zI4HeMk.png

Status now says In Stock !!! and order sent the warehouse.

There is hope !

Me, if it's anything like as good as the 35mm I am probably going to have to have one.

I just wish they would redo the 85mm in a similar vein.

Don't you already have the Otus?

Mine has just been shipped, have shipment confirmation and tracking number!
Guess I sneaked in the first batch of orders.

Well mine arrived yesterday and it looks very well put together. Not used it in anger yet but will be out sometime this week all being well.

For those who use the USB dock just a quick note to say that, having upgraded the dock firmware, it recognises the new lens as it should.

There has also been mention of a new Sigma 85mm Art lens in this thread. I don't know how many have seen the recent news from Sigma but there is a suggestion that a new 85 mm is in the pipeline for release later this year (along with 3 other lenses)!

Andy

Well mine arrived yesterday and it looks very well put together. Not used it in anger yet but will be out sometime this week all being well.

For those who use the USB dock just a quick note to say that, having upgraded the dock firmware, it recognises the new lens as it should.

There has also been mention of a new Sigma 85mm Art lens in this thread. I don't know how many have seen the recent news from Sigma but there is a suggestion that a new 85 mm is in the pipeline for release later this year (along with 3 other lenses)!

Andy

I think its a 85 ART and a 24 ART with rumours of a 135, cant see how they could possibly improve on the 85, its insanely good wide open.

I think its a 85 ART and a 24 ART with rumours of a 135, cant see how they could possibly improve on the 85, its insanely good wide open.

Yup.

I had the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's for my 5D and they were hard to part with. IMVHO the old 85mm is even better than the old and very highly regarded 50mm and was the best AF lens I've ever owned or used.

As they seem to be going for top image quality f1.4's I wonder what they'll do for a 135? :D

Last edited:
Yup.

I had the old Sigma 50 and 85mm f1.4's for my 5D and they were hard to part with. IMVHO the old 85mm is even better than the old and very highly regarded 50mm and was the best lens I've ever owned or used.

As they seem to be going for top image quality f1.4's I wonder what they'll do for a 135? :D

Agreed, my 50 is great wide open but the 85 is definitely better. Not sure I could part with my 50 for the new one, its just so big.

135 Ill guess theyll push for a 1.8 as they like a headline these days.

I've had the 50 art a few days. As soon as I saw it in stock at WEX I pounced on it :D

I haven't even had a chance to use it yet, I've been that busy, but I'll have a play about this week. There's on open mic night on Thursday so I might test it there :)

Andy

It would have to be 1.2 and awesome for me to even consider replacing my 85L. I absolutely adore that lens.

Should be pretty easy to improve on it if you are charging double the price and using more highly corrected glass. The current Sigma is good but not that good that it can't be beaten in performance. Ephotozone only rated it 3/5 for optical quality.

Back