Sigma 70-300 or Canon 55-250,which is best?

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently purchased a Canon 60D,that I am delighted with,and have bought a Sigma 150-500 for long-range stuff,and a Canon 18-55 for landscape /portrait type stuff. I'm torn between the Sigma 70-300 (which I already own a version of on my now redundant Pentax K10) and the Canon 55-250. I don't want to blow a load of money on this lens to fill in the gap between my 2 present lens's so am just looking at cheap and cheerful for now. Can anyone tell me which is better,or if there is a reasonably priced alternative. Also on the Sigma is the A.P.O. version much better than the non,as the APO version seam to fetch quite a bit more money on aucion sights etc.
Thanks in advance,Rob.:)

:canon:

I have recently purchased a Canon 60D,that I am delighted with,and have bought a Sigma 150-500 for long-range stuff,and a Canon 18-55 for landscape /portrait type stuff. I'm torn between the Sigma 70-300 (which I already own a version of on my now redundant Pentax K10) and the Canon 55-250. I don't want to blow a load of money on this lens to fill in the gap between my 2 present lens's so am just looking at cheap and cheerful for now. Can anyone tell me which is better,or if there is a reasonably priced alternative. Also on the Sigma is the A.P.O. version much better than the non,as the APO version seam to fetch quite a bit more money on aucion sights etc.
Thanks in advance,Rob.:)

:canon:

I've not used the Sigma 70-300, but my daughter does have the Canon 55-250IS and gets great results with it, I've been very impressed with it and for the price, it's a great lens. It would easily fill your brief of "cheap and cheerful for now" and you'd be able to sell it on, in the future, should you wish to upgrade, without loosing too much money...

iv'e owned the sigma 70 - 300mm APO lens canon fit and in all honesty it's not that great above 200mm if i was going to buy all over again the canon 55 - 250 is would be my choice at the price you are willing to spend

Thanks for your advise guys. I plumped for the Canon 55-250IS ,purchased brand new from Fleabay at a very reasonable £95 and delivered free in less than 48 hours. I tried it out on Monday at Cadwell Park and am pretty pleased with the results. It auto-focussed on bikes flying past at the first corner at speeds in the region of 120 m.p.h according to my brother( he races sidecars ). My other half had a Sigma on a Nikon,and it struggled like mad. There may be some pics going on the Motorsport section soon if I pluck up the courage to post them.:nailbiting:

Back