Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 DG Macro for Nikon D40x

Edit My Images
No
Just got one of these off ebay to use with my D40x after reading various reviews and even Sigmas site, that it will autofocus.
Well, it turned up, I attached it only to find it doesnt autofocus. :crying:
First off I assumed it was user stupidity and checked the settings. Then i noticed there was a screw pin mount, for use with a nikon body with motor built in. Would this be present if the motor was built in?
Does anyone else have one of these and a D40x which does work?
:bang: Most annoyingly I asked the ebay seller and he said it worked with his D40x :shrug:

Could you not send it back as it was "not as described" either if it doesn't work so it would be faulty. Or it doesn't actually a/f on a d40 in which case he's lied about it.

I was under the impression that only HSM sigma lenses autofocused on a D40, but I may be wrong.

If it's within 7 days in Buy it now sale you can send it back. It's a cooling off period, he may charge you a restocking/carriage fee. But can only do this if he's stipulated it in his returns policy. If not, then he cannot charge you.

I have one and it autofocuses on a D40 on the box it says "with built in motor" i think it has only been introduced recently as ive only had the lens 2 months.
Bought it new from Camera World.

cheers guys, I believe you're both right with the info. HSM are autofocus on the D40, D40x and D60, but the new version of this lens are supposed to have the "built in motor" stamp which means they work.
Mine has neither. I'm communicating with the guy and hopefully will get my money back. The main issue is he answered my question with a clear 'yes it will autofocus on the D40x' so now I'm basically calling him a liar.
Sometimes ebay sucks. :thumbsdown:

Back