Sigma APO 120-400mm or 150-500mm OS HSM

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a super telephoto lens for my D40 for motorsport photography. The guy's at LCE recommended either of these lenses.

Has anyone experienced both? I'd like some unbiaised advice as to whether to go for the extra length of the 500 at the slight expense of speed.

Fast autofocus is fairly important to me for panning.

Thanks in advance.

hi, i was asking the same question a couple of weeks ago. after listening to advice from the very good people on this site and from hours of my own research on the web, ive come to the conclusion that i would be better off saving a bit longer and get a nikon 300mm f4 + 1.4tc or 1.7tc. the iq of this lens is far superior to the lens you are considering and apparently the 300 f4 performs as well with the 1.4 teleconverter as without. hope this helps !

I have the Sigma 150-500mm HSM OS and I use this mostly with a D700 (FX) for motorsport. The HSM autofocus works fine.

I also have a D40x (DX) and this lens is a bit 'long' for motorsport with the D40x, but OK for aviation where you need the extra reach. The 120-400 might be better for the D40.

Ed

Back