Sigma APO 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM II ?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
First, how does this rate to the canon 70-200 non IS?

Second, is it any good for weddings?

Third, anything else I should know?

Forth, thanks :)

Both are similar at 70mm but Canon is light years better at 200mm

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration ;)

You'd probably be hard pushed to see any difference on a printed shot, I bought a MK I version a couple of years ago & I've never regretted paying 1/3rd of the price of the Canon :)

my favourite lens, but i use it on a sony mount. sharp right through the range and even down to f2.8. most of the images ive put on here and are on my website are taken with it. results have been used on a few motox webpages and also the TMX newspaper.
Sorry cant compare to the canon lens.

Had the Mark 1 on my 30D, great lens, nice and sharp.Would recommend it for the money (y)

Seems the Mk1 goes for around £350 on ebay is there much difference on the two?

The Mk1 is non macro and it is very good throughout the range, better than the Mk2. If you dont need the macro go for the Mk1.

I have the MK1 (Non Macro)version and it does not disappoint.

Good all round lens for a sigma that is.

So its another :plus1:

These were all taken with the Sigma 70-200 & the only thing that lets
the lens down is my technique in natural light :LOL:

Oh, its a little heavier than the Canon equivalant (y)

Stacie-7.jpg

LaurenSepiacl.jpg

BigCat-3.jpg

Bethany24809-17.jpg

I've just bought this lens as it's about half the price of the canon equivalent, and I took it to the Belgium Grand Prix with fantastic results, I cant really compare with the Canon, but I bought mine from a recommendation of a friend. I got mine from www.onestop-digital.com £515.00 with free delivery

Is the macro actually macro or just a short min focus distance?

Not really macro! It's 1m minimum focusing distance. 1:3.5

:plus1: for the Sigma Mk1 great lens for the price. The Canon is the better lens if money is no object, but value for money Sigma wins.

Hi
I have owned both, the Canon is slightly quicker, slightly brighter colour rendition, having said all that i love the Sigma and for the money you cant go wrong.
Check out my pics in the gallery, pic of the rose and the Zoo pics were taken with the Sigma, pics of the Red arrows were taken with the canon with a 1.4 Extender.
this is a great focal length for weddings, all candid shots go down well, sit/stand back zoom in and take pics that nobody knows are being taken,

Back