Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

First day out with DP1 and DP3 Merrill, DP2 stayed at home.

Had an hour or so in Glasgow taking a few shots to evaluate the DP1 and DP3. Weather not too good.

I find the DP1 as most people have said a little soft in the extremes,

The DP3 is really sharp with sometimes a little chromatic aberration in certain circumstances at the extremes. This is easily corrected in SPP

The DP2 for me is the best of the bunch very even sharpness across the frame.

Any of the above minor failings I can forgive because of the detail in the images. To sum it up superb !! One of the best purchases I have made.

Getting used to SPP now. I wish it had some way of doing a crop and a quick alignment

Still trying to work out how to integrate it into my Lightroom work-flow

Got a Richard Franiec grip on my DP2 and if certainly makes a difference. Might get one for the other 2

My little Manfrotto messenger bag will take all 3

Anyone use a UV filter ?

Got Sigma hoods for DP1, DP2 but got a Nikon type hood for the DP3 (£1.67p delivered from China}

Hoping for some good weather:)

PICS!!! Glad your enjoying the merrills,they are superb in their own right.Must admit I do wish spp had crop feature because at times I hardly have to alter the image in lightroom so would save another step in post processing. I purchased the sigma hood for the dp3 and have to say it is very nice but went for a cheapo for the dp2m.No uv filters on my 2,never used them never will tbh.

use a b+w filter mrc with mine :)

you could try auto import in lightroom, from tiff 16bit. but u need the raw file to do medium/big exposure corrections

Looking at getting one of these but stick between choosing the DP2 or going wider with the DP1, why dont they make a DP4 with a 19-80mm lens

Yeah probably be best bet Gary although seen some lovely landscapes with the dp2m..I havent used a dp1m but have read several reports its a bit soft in the corners.

Yeah probably be best bet Gary although seen some lovely landscapes with the dp2m..I havent used a dp1m but have read several reports its a bit soft in the corners.

Yeah I read a few but cannot say I have noticed any, although a lot of the time I shoot f5.6 which is classed as the sweet spot on the Merrills.

I will shoot a brick wall later and have a butchers

It's a bit soft at the corners wide open. From F5.6 it's fine.

Have heard that a few times,never tried it my self but may do one day.I seem to use the dp3m more than the 2 tbh.I did consider moving it on.

and I always thought it would be 1 & 3 for me but go to the 2 more than any other, I guess what they say is correct around 50mm is a perfect day to day length.. but then when I get busy setting the studio kit up it will be the 3 all day long..

I think its the 1 I could do without if one was to go but they look so pretty next to each other be a shame to split them up :)

Yeah I like the 2 but tend to favour the extra reach and close up ability of the 3 personally and its damn sharp! lol..that coupled with the fact I have a real itch to buy myself a dji phantom quadcopter.:naughty:
The sigma is in classifieds now.

Last edited:
Have heard that a few times,never tried it my self but may do one day.I seem to use the dp3m more than the 2 tbh.I did consider moving it on.

ive used microsoft ice so far, its free and you just select your pics and drag em in, im sure theres better but its been fine so far.

i autofocus on a point i want that sharp and should be vagualy hyperfocal, then switch to manual focus (so its locked), then manual exposure (changed exposure looks odd :D ) then take a bunch with camera in portrait orintation, with some overlap between shots

ive used microsoft ice so far, its free and you just select your pics and drag em in, im sure theres better but its been fine so far.

i autofocus on a point i want that sharp and should be vagualy hyperfocal, then switch to manual focus (so its locked), then manual exposure (changed exposure looks odd :D ) then take a bunch with camera in portrait orintation, with some overlap between shots
Show us a few then, this is why i want one.

holy moley just did a quick 5 photo one in the house... errr awesome this is going to be my new fave pastime. I am off out in a bit, the DP3 is going with me :)

Theres nothing in focus to the left of the largest tree!!!!

Viewed full size theres a definite stitch line to the left of the post to the left of the big tree, that frame is fully OOF

Last edited:
Theres nothing in focus to the left of the largest tree!!!!

Viewed full size theres a definite stitch line to the left of the post to the left of the big tree, that frame is fully OOF

...but the rest is nice and sharp and there's no obvious stitch lines anywhere else. Whenever I've tried stitching I always have trouble with exposure or light balance differences which result in blocks of different colour sky - there's none of that here :)

I ended up getting the dp1 ,dp2 and the dp3...I tend to use the dp1 a lot as I like the 28mm view point...ive had the sony a7r ,Nikon d800e and ive sold them ...the images out of the Merrill cameras are stunning ..whenever I come back from a days shooting I allways get the wow factor...never have I got that with the sony or Nikon ..yes they are faster and yes they are good,but for pure pixel sharpness nothing beats the merrils...I even got 3 l brackets for them and a ton of batterys lol...I just wish canon and a lot of the other manufactures concentrated on image quality and not how high an iso they can go...I do landscape stuff and these are the best ...when I went to the nec in Birmingham I bought all 3 again for £299 each as spares...what a bargain ...

I'm wondering now how good the slr sd1? Is with adapted lenses, not that I could afford to spend that much :-(, for long lenses etc

I think because the merrills are fixed lenses that what gives them the edge...im sure the sd1 is good but the choice of lenses may not be as good..

I have been thinking about getting a DP Merrill for some little time now ;), mainly for indoor portrait shots and saw I could purchase an AC adapter to aid with the short battery life, but have struggled to find out online if I would be able to use wireless triggers for off camera flash (everything set manually) or indeed studio lights.

Googling, a few searches said the pin out configuration for the hotshoe indicated that some wireless triggers would not work without modification.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that one person has successfully used Neewer triggers with Yongnuo flashguns, but has anyone successfully used either Yongnuo triggers - i.e RF-602 / 3 or YN622 Canon, or Phottix triggers or Pocket wizards TT1/TT5 combinations with Canon flashguns or studio lights please?

i can try in a min, i did try with dp2 and 602 trigger, and that didnt fit well :/

checked, and its damn tight with rf-600tx, and with a plastic adapter thing i got, but my 560iii works ok and fires fine off a single pin (all its got)

so i think itll be fine but will need some easing up on the flash hotshoe

I think because the merrills are fixed lenses that what gives them the edge...im sure the sd1 is good but the choice of lenses may not be as good..

think your pretty much limited to sigma mount, m42 and adaptall, but i quite like the thought of a sigma camera with a tamron lens :D

damnit, keeps saying the 100% crop is too large?. when its actually smaller in all ways :|

I have been thinking about getting a DP Merrill for some little time now ;), mainly for indoor portrait shots and saw I could purchase an AC adapter to aid with the short battery life, but have struggled to find out online if I would be able to use wireless triggers for off camera flash (everything set manually) or indeed studio lights.

Googling, a few searches said the pin out configuration for the hotshoe indicated that some wireless triggers would not work without modification.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that one person has successfully used Neewer triggers with Yongnuo flashguns, but has anyone successfully used either Yongnuo triggers - i.e RF-602 / 3 or YN622 Canon, or Phottix triggers or Pocket wizards TT1/TT5 combinations with Canon flashguns or studio lights please?

Yes, I have triggered my Nikon flashes and Lencarta studio lights using the Pocket wizard TT5s and, PW plus IIs. I can post some results when I get home if you like?

Yes, I have triggered my Nikon flashes and Lencarta studio lights using the Pocket wizard TT5s and, PW plus IIs. I can post some results when I get home if you like?

Thanks Pete, for the reassurance, my finger is hovering over the buy it now button for a DP2 :D.

I had read (but you cannot always believe everything you see on the internet!) you had to rewire a Yongnuo RF-602TX to make it work , but if the Pocket wizards work, would imagine other triggers would too - unless there is something peculiar that they will not work with Canon gear. Yes please, would appreciate seeing any results you obtained.

Thanks Pete, for the reassurance, my finger is hovering over the buy it now button for a DP2 :D.

I had read (but you cannot always believe everything you see on the internet!) you had to rewire a Yongnuo RF-602TX to make it work , but if the Pocket wizards work, would imagine other triggers would too - unless there is something peculiar that they will not work with Canon gear. Yes please, would appreciate seeing any results you obtained.
I have a lovely mint dp2m with extras for sale!!!:naughty:

Yes, these where all taken with PW's and a Nikon Flash. I think I have some 602's somewhere, I'll dig them out and see if it works

a quickr pickr post

Back