Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

Stuart - what set up did you use for these pictures, did you have a close up filter? They're stunning!

Dave

think he might have marumi? Close up filter

but any closeup filter that's good works well with anything

14866339126_10081fc364_h.jpg

Here's one from my recent holiday in North Wales :) Taken on a DP3M.

Stuart - what set up did you use for these pictures, did you have a close up filter? They're stunning!

Dave

I think I had a Raynox 250 on for the first two.
The photo's others have posted and Simon's pic above really do show the great level of detail that the Merrill captures. It does amaze me for the size and cost of the camera.

Last edited:
you can shoot silly high iso and convert to bw with the merrills too, using the blue channel or auto :)
the q focuses faster and better i think, my merrils dont like focusing in low light..

but the q sensor makes more sense in the slr body imo, with the telephoto lenses

I've been playing about with the "Fill Light" slider in Sigma Photo Pro, and came up with this as an alternative to the shot at post 725 which gives it a very different atmosphere:
14786034628_434648fc0e_h.jpg

I normally add about 0.2 of fill light to brighten the images up but this was taken down to about -0.7 and I rather like it. I'd be interested in your views on which you prefer :)

To be honest I prefer the first version. The second is probably a truer rendition of the actual scene but I love how the first version lightens the darker area and shows so much detail.

To be honest I prefer the first version. The second is probably a truer rendition of the actual scene but I love how the first version lightens the darker area and shows so much detail.
Thanks :) Actually the first is closer to the original and I love all the detail, but the second sort of looked more moody :) The only difference is the setting of the Fill Light slider which surprised me how much difference it made.

I have been 'playing around' more with the Sigma software and, whilst it can be a bit clunky, it is amazing what detail can be gained by small adjustments to the fill light and exposure settings. The sharpening tool hardly ever gets used though - never seems there's any need for it :)

I usually have sharpening turned right down to -2 as it doesn't seem to be needed at all, and then I import the tiff into Photoshop and maybe do a small amount of USM, but they still require much less than "normal" files.
The Sigma software is a bit painful at times - I've just updated to the latest version they released for the Quattro camera which also works with the Merrills, but it's no quicker and has hung up completely on me several times :(

i use about +0.3 average, but im hand holding and taking pics of horses mainly, and luv pixel peeping...

I have managed to source a very nice DP1M so now my Merrill family is complete. One quick question - the latest firmware I can find for the DP1M is 1.04. This does not seem to give the option to prefix the file names with DPX which I can do with the DP2 and DP3 - am I missing something or is this the latest firmware available for the DP1M

I have managed to source a very nice DP1M so now my Merrill family is complete. One quick question - the latest firmware I can find for the DP1M is 1.04. This does not seem to give the option to prefix the file names with DPX which I can do with the DP2 and DP3 - am I missing something or is this the latest firmware available for the DP1M
Scrap that - just found the firmware update hadn't completed correctly!

one of mine decided todo _p2 or some crap for the first 5-10 files then go back to dpx, its stopped doing it now tho :)

Unfortunately, I've decided these cameras aren't for me. There is nothing wrong with them, they just don't suit how I want to use them. Or putting it another way, my wife has told me that having five cameras is excessive and that at least two have to go. So my DP1M, DP2M and accessories are up in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Splashed out and bought myself a Metz 20 c-2 for the grand sum of £20 from eBay - very basic flash but works really well on the Sigma and, at last, I can have a go at some indoor shots :)

Toby by dave.proctor, on Flickr

you can get super cheap flash diffusers off ebay, be good for when you do people, but you can bounce the metz ?
I can't with the little sigma flash, but I did buy yn canon flash cable that works :)

you can get super cheap flash diffusers off ebay, be good for when you do people, but you can bounce the metz ?
I can't with the little sigma flash, but I did buy yn canon flash cable that works :)

The Metz does bounce, I bounced in this picture.

Is is very basic (no TTL) but seems to be very accurate. For £20 I have no complaints at all.

metz do good stuff, the little sigma flash is more like a hotshoe one in a box, no tilt, small bulb gn14? no zoom, ttl or full power are your options...

Out of curiosity what ISO setting do you guys use? I have been shooting at ISO 200 because I thought I'd read somewhere this had the widest dynamic range but having researched again I can't find any reference to that.

Well couldnt resist the dp2m in the classifieds as really regretted selling mine so hopefully should be here sometime next week!! Some great shots added to the thread recently.

Nah just the ricoh thingy and a dp2m..sold the dp3 a while back.Really missed the merrills but looking back on my pics I used the dp2 the most so when the one came up in classifieds had to have it!

DP2m arrived this morning!Very pleased to have one again.Just need some nice weather now..:D

sigma pro *cough* photo 6.1 is out btw, not sure if its better than 5.6

whats that cider like?:D

Heard new version is slower tbh.. Cider is OK but not as good as thatchers vintage.

might be slower on export, still seems abit ropey in places too

i like sweet cider like kopperberg :eek:

Back