Sigma EX DG 300mm F2.8 D APO HSM AF and U16 football

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all ,
I am considering this lens to use at my sons football on a Canon R10 so it would give me 480mm @ 2.8
This would be used alongside a 70-200mm 2.8 on a full frame body
I am aware there are more expensive options out there and probably better option but for the price it fits in my budget for the use it would get..
He usually plays day games with the odd evening fixture.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated
Regards
Simon

I don't think I'd do it. Problem being the target's you'd be shooting are constantly moving. About the time you change the lens to the 300mm the picture changes and you need to change back. I think I'd look for another zoom that has more reach. I used to do pointing dog's coming off the starting line. Went to a 55-300 lens and it allowed me to zoom in as the dog came closer to me. For me I think I'd have been better off with an 18-300 as at times the dogs came right at me. Got one photo where two dogs came and I was shooting at the back dog. Second dog showed up at the last instant and actually went over the top of me. Got them both but was focused on the back dog and front dog's eye's were blurred. Don't remember the setting but somewhere between 55 and 200! Just me if your shooting moving shots, zoom is the way to go.

I had a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 and found it to be very good (motorsport and wildlife). The wide aperture came in handy for decent shutter speed and subject isolation. It also played well with Sigma 1.4x and 2.0x Teleconverters.

I traded it in against an EF 100-400mm II L. While I’ve been pleased with the swap especially for travel, I have missed the option to shoot at f/2.8 and have a decent 600mm f/5.6 available. At the time, I saw a number of sports togs using the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8, which is/was a well regarded lens.

The 18-300mm zooms are covering a lot of ground and are probably at best f/6.3 at the long end, so a bit dim on dull days. They are a compact solution though. Depends what you want.

The Canon 28-300mm L is a reportage lens and might be decent choice if you want/need a higher ratio zoom.

I don't think I'd do it. Problem being the target's you'd be shooting are constantly moving. About the time you change the lens to the 300mm the picture changes and you need to change back. he back dog and front dog's eye's were blurred. Don't remember the setting but somewhere between 55 and 200! Just me if your shooting moving shots, zoom is the way to go.

So you completely missed the part where ha said that he is using two different bodies then?

The Sigma 300/2.8 prime has a well deserved reputation for being a dog of a lens.

There's a very good reason why Sigma only ever produced one version and that is almost twenty years old.

Back