Sigma EX DG HSM 70-200mm f2.8 - a repair dilemma

Edit My Images
Yes
First off a little background, I've been living just outside of New York in the USA for about 8 years so the majority of my kit was bought in the USA. I'm moving back to the UK in 2 weeks and as a zoo enthusiast have come to San Diego for a holiday and to take in the zoos, seaworld etc. My trip is nearly over but was half way through the zoo yesterday my Sigma EX DG HSM 70-200mm f2.8 packed in. Its 18 months old and had no issues until now. I use it on my Sony A100 and know there have been issues with gear stripping. The lens wont autofocus (I double checked both the camera and lens were on AF, and my sigma 28-70, which is woefully short for zoos, is working fine so I dont think I inadverently changed any setting). The lens was working fine, but had stopped working when I reattached it to to the body, I have cleaned contacts etc as well but to no avail and the lens wasn't knocked, dropped or generally mishandled.

Does this sound like the gear stripping issue or something else? Wouldn't the gear stripping issue occur when I was trying to autofocus rather than just after I changed the lens?

My dilemma is this - I purchased the lens from B & H here in the states and need to check the warranty when I get back to NYC, but think that they have a three year USA warranty. As I am leaving the USA in 2 weeks and knowing that the repair turn around is greater than this, do I risk trying to get it fixed under warranty and shipped back to the UK, do I wait and get it fixed by Sigma in the UK knowing it might cost me an arm and a leg or do I get a third party (Mack) to take a look at it if they can do it before I leave the USA? My equipment and belongings are being shipped legitimately so I am assuming proper duty and taxes etc paid.

I'd contact Sigma UK and explain the situation, it's not as if you're bringing in a newly-bought grey import. Failing that, get it repaired stateside and get the repairer to ship it back to the UK, declaring it as a returned repair, you may still have to pay import duty though, depending on how long you've owned the item and how long you intend to stay in the UK. Again, a phone call (to HMRC this time) should clear things up :)

Looking on the net I haven't seen any issues with this model lens gear stripping on a Sony. Thanks for your reply Flash - my plan is to get it repaired in the UK if its not under warranty, the hard part is if its still in warranty in the USA, do I risk getting it fixed here and trying to get it posted to the UK. My experience in the past in the USA has been its very difficult to get anything out of the ordinary done. I cant see them grasping that I dont want it returning to the address where I registered the warranty, which I no longer live at, but instead need it posting to the UK.

if you have a friend in the USA, perhaps sned it in to sigma USA, fix it under warranty, then sent to there house for them to forward back to you or bring over if they coming to see you:)

Back