Sigma or Tamron 70-300 macro?

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Am looking for a 70-300 lens, budget is under £100.

Which would be my best choice?

Thanks in advance.
Lee

I'll say the Tamron Di LD as I owned one in the past, mind you that was a Pentax mount used with shake reduction on a Pentax camera. I don't know how steady a hand you need for a Canon.

Last edited:
The sigma is decent enough. Not the smoothest zoom action in the world but can't really fault it for the money. Only stopped using it when I bought something ten times the price. There's a few versions of the sigma. I'm never that convinced that DG coatings make much difference, but the APO version is probably worth the extra few quid. Not used the tamron.

Is there much in it quality wise?
Can't speak for the Sigma but just had a quick Google on reviews between the two, If I was buying I think I know which one I would choose if I was on a budget.......and had steady hands.

There are good and bad points for both.

Can't comment on the Tamron, but having owned the Sigma for many years, I've always found it to be good. I am only parting with it now as it doesn't get used because I now have faster lenses

Had brief experience of the Tamron when it came as part of a bundle I bought.
If I said I sold it for forty quid that probably gives you an idea of what I thought of that lens

Great replies guys -

Any other suggestions for a second hand lens, i looked at these as they gave me the option of Macro and zoom funcion. I have a budget of £100 initialy.

Would choosing two specific lenses be better than a one to do both jobs?

Id be happy for ebay links to suggestions.

The Sigma 70-300 APO is within your budget and decent enough in good light, but can struggle in poor light. I doubt the Tamron is much different.

Despite what the descriptions say, these are close-up rather than macro lenses. The magnification ratio is good for flowers and ok for bugs. As you don't indicate what subjects you want the lens for, it's a bit of guesswork to try and figure out whether either is suitable for you.

With regards to Macro, im looking to shoot more mechanical industrial type images rather than flowers/bugs. Close up car/engine parts etc.

I am also wanting to take some aircraft and motorsport shots, hence the zoom.

I am prepared to accept that the budget I have is not going to get me the best results, but I want to get the best start, once I have produced the best I can with the lens I will budget for an upgrade.

I've got a sigma 70-300, for the money I would highly recommend it. Bought it second hand out of the classifieds, for £60 posted about 18 months ago.

I though about selling it recently but changed mi mind

I've got quite a few images on mi flickr that I've took with it, the most recent being mi TP'52 'Sharp' Shot at 195mm on a 10 year old D70 :D

Edit- Here's a cpl of aircraft I shot at this years RIAT, now don't get me wrong, both were shot in raw and a bit of clarity and sharpness added in ACR , but for 60 quid I can't complain. Both hand held, the F16 @300mm, the A400M @240mm, shot at 1/125 to get the prop blur

Turkish F16 RIAT'14 Nikon D70
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

A400M
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
2nd hand prices seem to be about the same for both Hoppy. Any performance difference at all?

Overall, the APO version is better but there's so very little difference, like one or two percent MTF on Imatest, that you'd struggle to see it even in side by side tests. In one or two areas, the non-APO was actually better. The APO version also has just detectably less CA.

Depends on the prices too. When I did those tests about three months ago, the APO version was £50 more and not worth a 50% increase. It does have a red ring though :)

Back