Sigma Price Increases

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know the reason for the huge increase in the price of some of Sigma's lenses?

I had been saving up to purchase the 300-800mm lens which at the end of last year you could pick up for around £4,000.

However, I have just noticed that they have now increased the price of this by a whopping amount and are now priced at over £7,000!!

This seems to be the case for all of their big lenses and I can only see that they have effectively priced out the average photographer........:thinking:

yup been that way for a good few months now.

i was looking to pick up a 120-300 from WHE bargain basement at £1100 earlier in the year, its now priced at £1800.

its the same with all electronics companys at the moment, canon, nikon, tamron, sigma.. etc.

Average togs spend 4k on a lens? :D

Hmm, you'd think in times of a credit crunch they would be wanting to sell lenses.......think their order hotline will be quiet!!

Hmm, you'd think in times of a credit crunch they would be wanting to sell lenses.......think their order hotline will be quiet!!

12 months ago 215 yen - £1, around January this year that was around 125 yen - £1, so 12 months ago the lens was 860,000 Yen, at that lowest point that would be £6880.

12 months ago 215 yen - £1, around January this year that was around 125 yen - £1, so 12 months ago the lens was 860,000 Yen, at that lowest point that would be £6880.

I was just looking in my back dated photography mags and in October 2008 Warehouse Express were doing the lens for £4399 but this month its £7274

Yup, it's the exchange rate and general increase in the cost of raw materials. And I agree, what average photographer spends £4k on a piece of glass? :LOL:

You'd be surprised.........I've frequently been sat in a hide with someone next to me sporting the Canon 500mm which costs more than that!

Glad I bought mine last year.

No help at all to you though..........:D

Yup, it's the exchange rate and general increase in the cost of raw materials. And I agree, what average photographer spends £4k on a piece of glass?

Me Lol :LOL::LOL:

(But im daft)

Back