Silverstone BSB

Name
colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
so went to Silverstone on Sunday to watch the racing, so apologize in advance for the limited photo angles as they are all mainly from one corner, after watching the moto gp at silverstone i came back a bit disappointed with what i had taken, they seemed to come out with a lot of noise in the photos, i did have to crop the photos a lot to get the picture i wanted, so I thought this time might try shooting in RAW to see if i had any more luck, but i still think there seems to be too much noise it may be my laptop monitor? I don't know whether its that my camera and lens aren't advanced enough to take photos like what i see on here or whether is the fleshy thing holding it that's not using it right :) its a Nikon D5200 with a Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens if this helps?

DSC_3337 by TSP images, on Flickr

DSC_3333 by TSP images, on Flickr

DSC_3287 by TSP images, on Flickr

DSC_3086 by TSP images, on Flickr

DSC_3005a by TSP images, on Flickr

DSC_2833 by TSP images, on Flickr

#1 does have some noise in the red in the background and some elsewhere but frankly nothing to worry about and at smaller sizes it doesn't even show up.

The lens you have seems to be good for the job and will not affect noise anyway, that is a product of the sensor and exposure.

One of the worst thing any photographer can do is start obsessing over minor problems so TBH I wouldn't worry about it and I think most people would be very happy to turn out pictures like that.

These look pretty good to me with #1being a perfect balance of speed, sharpness and exposure. I'm just looking on my phone though, if you wanted to send me a raw file I'd happily take a look at processing but tbh looks good already
Thanks, I can do but don't go to any trouble i just wanted to see what people thought, see if it was me screen that made them look a bit grainy.

#1 does have some noise in the red in the background and some elsewhere but frankly nothing to worry about and at smaller sizes it doesn't even show up.

The lens you have seems to be good for the job and will not affect noise anyway, that is a product of the sensor and exposure.

One of the worst thing any photographer can do is start obsessing over minor problems so TBH I wouldn't worry about it and I think most people would be very happy to turn out pictures like that.
Thanks, so if i turn the exposure up a bit when i process the image it won't be so dark and i should get more detail?

Look fine to me Colin, really like the first shot

Paul.
Thanks Paul it was mainly your photos and the "hopper" shot from silverstone that got me thinking what can i do to make them better, the clarity and detail of that shot was great.

Thanks, so if i turn the exposure up a bit when i process the image it won't be so dark and i should get more detail?

You could lighten them a tad if you wanted but not sure what you mean by more detail since they are very detailed already.

If you mean sharpness I would say they look perfectly sharp as they are and you definitely don't want to overdo the sharpening since that would make them look unreal.

TBH I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in them since everyone else (and me) agrees that they are great shots.

You could lighten them a tad if you wanted but not sure what you mean by more detail since they are very detailed already.

If you mean sharpness I would say they look perfectly sharp as they are and you definitely don't want to overdo the sharpening since that would make them look unreal.

TBH I'm not quite sure what you're looking for in them since everyone else (and me) agrees that they are great shots.
Sorry what i mean is in shot #2 and #3 the area around the wheels where its dark, but i assume that if that wah lighter the rest would be too bright?

Sorry what i mean is in shot #2 and #3 the area around the wheels where its dark, but i assume that if that wah lighter the rest would be too bright?

Depends on your editor; you could try just lightening the shadows a bit and see how it looks then or maybe apply 1/2 stop of lightening overall.

I'm using photoshop cc I tried to lighten the shadow but the darker bits then showed more noise so I left it as it was.

They look good to me too Colin, that lens/camera body are working well together. You can lift shadows easily in lightroom, if you have a copy of that.

They look good to me too Colin, that lens/camera body are working well together. You can lift shadows easily in lightroom, if you have a copy of that.
Thanks Paul, I've only got Photoshop cc, don't know if that's better or worse?

Just looked at these on flickr and that shot of Jenny is a winner
Thanks, I think I might post it on her Facebook page

Back