Silverstone F1 Weekend

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a brilliant weekend at Silverstone. Haven't been to the F1 since 2010, and I've never been with a camera before so it was definitely a challenge, but a fantastic experience.

There was more people in the queue for a toilet than at an entire British GT meeting! So there was a limited choice of photo spots. I had spent quite a bit of Friday frustrated with my photos. But once I worked out I should stop pursuing absolute sharpness, and instead focus on the atmosphere of the event I quite enjoyed it. The massive crowds actually made this event quite fun to shoot. They totally transforms the usually deserted Silverstone.

Tried to keep this set as varied as possible, but there's a bigger collection on my Flickr if anybody's interested.

The first post of photos was taken on Friday and Saturday, while the photos in the second post were all taken on Sunday.

1. Becketts

2. Mirage

3. Braking into Stowe

4. Clichéd grandstand shot

5. Bit moister on Saturday

6. The team formally known as Caterham

7. What's this?! A Crowd?! Haven't seen that at Silverstone before!

8. Marmite?

9. Red Arrows

10. Crowded pan

11. Another crowd!?

12. I'm not used to this!

13. Would've needed earplugs for this shot before the V6s

14. Best of British

15. £600 of booze down the drain

16. A lovely weekend was had by all

Really nice set, love 1, 2, 10 and 14. I went Saturday and must admit that although it was great to see qualifying, I felt Friday offers a lot more options photographically. General access to most of the stands etc. Saturday you really couldn't move much during the session and we're much more limited on a GA ticket.

A gorgeous set George, #3 looks as though it was shot from a helicopter ! If I had to pick one it would be the Mirage in #2 .

Shots #1 and 2 are unbelievably good. You must have been up in the stands at Becketts for that?

Thanks guys.

Really nice set, love 1, 2, 10 and 14. I went Saturday and must admit that although it was great to see qualifying, I felt Friday offers a lot more options photographically. General access to most of the stands etc. Saturday you really couldn't move much during the session and we're much more limited on a GA ticket.

Yeh Friday was good with most of the stands open, but it was quite tricky to get a good spot in them, and I also find it really difficult to pan while sitting down (without smacking the person in front of me!).

Saturday was quite good with the rain, which gave some interesting shots. It also made shooting through the fences much easier.

Sunday was just packed. Really tricky to get photos without annoying any other spectators. I quite enjoyed having the GA ticket though. I think I'd get frustrated watching the whole race from one corner.

Back