Critique Single flasgh-gun experiment

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I decided last night to try to get to grips with my flash gun which I've had for at least 2 years, but have always been afraid of using as I know nothing about them. So I asked a friend to model, bounced the flash off the ceiling and got this. Last night whilst editing I absolutely loved it but as usual when looking at it after a sleep I'm thinking its way over-processed. I still like it though. All thoughts and comments welcome. Don't be afraid to get stuck in, I can take it haha :p

002bw2
by gaz_jamieson, on Flickr

Thanks for loking

Thats the main area I think was over processed. Whatever way I did the BW conversion it made her bottom eyelids turn white, so below each eyeball but above each bottom row of eyelashed there was quite a pronounced white line which I tried to burn away. Probably dodges the actual eyeballs a bit too much as well. I dont think I nailed the focus on her eyes quite right either in honesty.

Any thoughts regarding the lighting?

When I click the picture, I'm taken to a 404 Flickr page, so not sure if it's bad my end or yours..

I don't think the lighting is at all bad.. I think the image is nice, sharp (hair) and lit well..

Under her heck is maybe slightly too smooth.. What did you do there? Could just be the light..

I actually processed a sharp version (for the hair, mouth and eyes) and a soft version (for the skin,) then used a layer mask to blend them together. Her chest is probably much too smooth as well.

This always happens me, when Im working on a photo I always push it too much, and think it looks great at the time. Then the next day when I look at it again I think its overdone.

Can't break that habit!

Back