Sizewell B reactor dome

Sorry doesent really do it for me. No real sense of what the subject is nor the context in which it is found. Looks like an aviary.

I wouldn't have thought it a particularly clever idea, as you have identified in your blog post, taking photographs of a nuclear reactor, however benign and insignificant you think they are or would be to a nutter.
The photo......I don't get it I'm afraid.
P.S. Do not be surprised if you get a visit from some big SO13 geezers wearing black balaclavas a 4 am to take a look at the rest of your shoot.

I'm two minds on this. Technically its crap as so much of the detail is blown. But I quite like it for the oddity and uniqueness of it. The splash of colour on the bottom makes this, although I suspect on a less flat day or darker day, you could make something with the reflections off the reactor. However, you've captured the feel of the place and thats a big plus.

However, different light and a tehcnically correct exposure gives you more options
eg with a setting sun behind

_DSC0884 (1) by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

or on a dark grey day

_DSC0555 (1) by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Jerry, You will not be getting a visit from any agents etc etc so don't worry about that :)

The image is spoilt on here as the white of the dome blends into the white template on the forum. A thin black border might help a little.

Looks a bit boring to me. Too washed out and you can't get a sense of what it is without you explaining it. That to me doesn't make a great photo. Also, many people like to take photos of nuclear power stations!

I'm not sure where the blown highlights come from......not a hint on the original, or on the processed version. Unfortunately the head/breast of the gull on the other version (see blog) are chronically over-exposed.

If I was in the area again I might have another go in different light - sunrise would probably be excellent. But I get tired of landscapes with golden/pink washes all over them.

I take Rory's point about the need for a border.

In a general sense why should photographs be easily "read", anyway? If that had been my intention I could have used a shorter lens, included some sky and all the usual stuff. Yes, I could even have photographed it golden hour light. The intention was to make an image that was difficult to get to grips with.

I couldn't help but notice this in doublem1's signature:

"You've got to start looking for pictures no one else could take"

Back