Skate Park Today

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Got to have a go with off camera flash, i cant edit anything, (lack of memory for photoshop), so there straight out the camera. Would love some C+C as its my first flash try :D

n505802161_991365_2842.jpg

n505802161_991330_1501.jpg

n505802161_991329_566.jpg

n505802161_991327_8539.jpg

Nice park there. I skated it once a while ago, not my sort of thing but still it was okay day

I would lowering the power on the flashes as some seem a bit to hot in places, just a thought really

nice shots, I love these even unedited, especially 3...I would love do do some shots like this...well in Dom

cheers guys. Its not a bad park just a little crowded. Should be getting a flash and some pocket wizards for christmas, would do it end of this month but im getting the 70-200 :D

anyone else got anything they can help me with, advice????

The flash seems a little bright not sure how to sort that out. And i know that its best to see the faces, but im a kitesurfer im not to familiar with bmx moves and the best time to take the image yet... But i will :D

Try using a diffuser for the flash, it will stop any hotspots from showing. If you are a cheapy like me, just use layered tissue paper or tracing paper, secured with elastic bands. It work better than you would think, failing that, try using something like a Stofen softbox attatchment, this will diffuse and spread the light more evenly. They are good shots, that could be great shots with the right lighting. HTH;)

Thanks for the advice. I actually borrowed a friends flash but i will be getting one for chritmas.

So diffuser and maybee bouce off the concrete??

Also does anyone know of a long off camera lead i was using the kind of elastic circly cord but i was hard to manage

I have a mate who is very much into Bmx and MTB photography. He normally posts his Strobist info with the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamswords/

Normally quite difficult to get high impact results with just the one flash, a pair setup with a cross lighting effect will give much better rider definition.

I would also consider get upclose and personal, shots from the Deck or top of the ramp and dull down the drama, you kinda loose your sense of hight a little. So try lying right on the coping, or even in the bowl to get a differnet aspect. Just make sure the rides know your there. But great shots.

Ive not had a chance to use off camera lighting in a skatepark yet, but had a great day playing with sequence shots etc. Very easy to do and providing you have daylight no flash needed.

1270529954_0491c10b97.jpg

I wouldnt bother with a difuser, i wouldnt see it helping much, ive never seen one used. I think a couple of Cactus V2 Triggers from Ebay would be good. Very cheap but good way to get the basics of Strobism < if thats a word.

Last edited:
Back