Sleeping bags

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I know it may be strange to put this on talkphotography but stay with me. Im planning n a few trips in the winter in my van. I plan to do some sunset photography around the Scottish highlands, then do some star/milky way and in tge morning do some sun rise stuff. I reckon i may get a few hours sleep in between photography so looking for a sleeping bag to throw in the back of the van. Remember it will be scotland in the winter so looking for something warm enough to cope. I dont want to spend stupid money as i reckon it will only get used 5/6 times a year. So any ideas?

As Jason says the TFG Extreme is a very good bag for the money and another advantage is it has crash zips making it very easy to get out of and do up again without the bloody things jamming in the dark. It is designed for carp fishermen who may have to move fast at very short notice and at all times of year.

Last edited:
I presume you can pack a whole proper bed just without the frame in the back. This is what I would / will do. I hate tents and I hate sleeping bags. There are no bears or snow lions up here, but it is still scary.

I'd second Jason's recommendation. Mummy type bags, whilst supposedly warmer are only for skinny people and even then I wouldn't want to sleep in one.

Just as warm, much more corfortable, more flexible in operation & you may even have one already ....
A sleeping bag only EXCELs if:
1. you are very limited in space, (as in touring on a motorcycle / bicycle)
2. you are carrying it.
3. you may be sleeping outside.

If none of those critera are existing then live in style...

Seems the forum thinks my reply was so important it put it on twice.

Double post

You going to sleep on a mattress Mark or just lie on the floor?

I have one of these self inflating sleeping mats and I have a sleeping bag that can be zipped open to use as a quilt. Using it as a quilt i found quite uncomfortable lying just on the mat. I found it much more comfortable to have the bit of extra padding when using the sleeping bag as it was intended.

So if you just bring a duvet, which isn't a bad idea, bring 2!!

Now to be boring. Has your berlingo got the fold flat passenger seat? I'm thinking about buying one for a similar purpose that you're going to use yours for except I will be making a single bed conversion for it. Is it a short wheel base or a long one?

Cheers

A duvet is designed to keep you warm in temps down to around 16 degree c or so. We've already had frosts up here, and there's a high coming in, so warm days, very cold nights on the cards.

I use vango 3 season bags, and have used them in the highlands in sept, and they were just enough. The vango mummy bags are huge. I'm 6'2 and can get me and my wife into one of them.

I would definitely get a 4 season bag. 3 season bags are rated down to -3 I think.

I have one of these self inflating sleeping mats and I have a sleeping bag that can be zipped open to use as a quilt. Using it as a quilt i found quite uncomfortable lying just on the mat. I found it much more comfortable to have the bit of extra padding when using the sleeping bag as it was intended.

So if you just bring a duvet, which isn't a bad idea, bring 2!!

Now to be boring. Has your berlingo got the fold flat passenger seat? I'm thinking about buying one for a similar purpose that you're going to use yours for except I will be making a single bed conversion for it. Is it a short wheel base or a long one?

Cheers
The van is the short wheel base one with 3 seats- well more like 2.5 seats. The backs fold flat to the seat area so gives more room which is very helpful. Great wee van. Ours is now 2years old with 20k on the clock and i get around 46mpg from it.

... and keep the window open.
As Allan says, a 4 season bag. Better too warm than too cold. You can always unzip to cool down.
Thermals are good too as pyjamas if you need to get up.

One of the reviews on there site says they used it for van camping in cold weather along with fleece liner as you said must e worth a punt at that price for a named brand :)

One of the reviews on there site says they used it for van camping in cold weather along with fleece liner as you said must e worth a punt at that price for a named brand :)

Might be a bit on the small side though, that would be my concern. My vango ones are all XL size, I just checked.

There's quite a difference in the unpacked dimensions.

There are numerous bags to suit your purpose out there. It depends on your budget. If you are thinking of the Highlands in winter then you definitely need a 4 season bag.
Have a look at PHD http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sleepingbags.php?cat=26. Expensive, but the website is very technically informative if nothing else.

I've used a Cumulus Prime + a Therm-a-rest for a few years now. Always kept me nice and cosy in a tent in the Himalayas and down to about -20 C. Top quality bags. As of a few months ago they've had a name change to "Criterion".
http://www.criterion-sleepingbags.co.uk/news.htm

I think my max i really want to go is around £100 but the cgeaper tge vetter as long as it suits my needs.

Dont know if the van will be colder than a tent at night in the highlands.

Tent or van, if you're planning to be out overnight in the Highlands in winter, don't underestimate how cold it can be.

If you're using a van, so presumably not short of room, look at the US military Modular Sleep System, it is 3 bags in one, a lightweight summer bag (the green one), a heavier winter bag (the black one) and a Goretex bivvi. You can connect them all together to create one super warm waterproof bag if you need.

I've been in sub zero temperatures in them without an issue, it is rated down to minus 30 Fahrenheit (albeit that is survival temperature, in kit, so different to what feels comfy).

The only downside is that they don't pack down as small or as lightweight as some of the hiking bags, but if it is to live in a van that isn't an issue.

I think my max i really want to go is around £100 but the cgeaper tge vetter as long as it suits my needs.

Dont know if the van will be colder than a tent at night in the highlands.

You have to assume its as near as the same as a tent.

If for 'design' your space in the van to be as comfortable as possible you will have a more enjoyable experience. Throwing a doss bag in the back just isn't....

If you want my advice, I'd recommend the following:

1. Get a synthetic (rather than down) sleeping bag: far cheaper, you're not worried about it packing down really small and if it gets damp, it'll still keep you warm(ish). It also suffers less being kept in its stuffsack long-term.
2. Get a sleeping mat which will raise you off the floor with a decent "R value"... sleeping bags keep you warm because of the (warm) air trapped between the fibres inside the filling... when you lie on a sleeping bag, you compress the underside meaning it has limited insulation value compared with the top half. You will be more likely to get cold if you lie directly on the van floor, even if it is carpeted. I'd actually say this is just as important as the sleeping bag for a good night's sleep and not just for "softness" but warmth. I use an Exped SynMat 7 UL but that is pricey for your budget and there are cheaper options which don't cost the earth... again, you don't need small pack size or low weight so don't pay for it.
3. Ignore limit/extreme temperature ratings. Having said that, my "go to" bag has a comfort temperature of 2 degrees and I've used it happily in snow-bound winter camping in a tent (def colder than that), albeit with a down jacket and base layer on.
4. Don't forget you can wear more clothes and buy liners if you decide to go out in colder weather than your bag is designed for. I take a 3 season bag in the winter because of weight/pack size but wear warm clothes. I've never been cold, but I realise not everyone likes to do this.

So I'd suggest spending about £30 on a sleeping mat (or inflatable) such as the Thermarest Ridgerest Solar - assuming you can find some space on the floor to actually put it ;)
Then spend about £40-50 on a synthetic 3-4 season sleeping bag - something like a Vango Nitestar 450 which is heavy, doesn't pack down and is synthetic... none of which are features you need to worry about (or pay for unnecessarily)... or get a cheaper (less insulating) bag and a liner to use in cold conditions.

A mummy bag is more confined (you've said you're not a fan of this I think) but they are warmer, especially for your feet which can get cold, even with warm socks on.

When I went camping a couple of weeks back, I had a sleeping bag inside a sleeping bag. I still felt a little cold though, probably because they were a poor quality. If I go camping again, I will take an old thick blanket, and throw that over the sleeping bag...

Not sleeping bag related,but sleeping in van related. Have you got an open metal roof in the back? A friend of mine used to sleep in the back of a transit whilst away from home racing motorbikes. He said the worst thing for him was the condensation forming on the roof and then raining down on you in your sleep :LOL:

Back