Slide Film

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, Ive been shooting colour and b&w 120 for a while now, but I keep coming across colour slide film. Am I right in thinking that this is the same thing as people refer to as a transparency? Also am I correct in thinking that what you send it off for processing you get back a bunch of slides?
What's the benefit of using this over negatives? And how come you dont see black and white slide film around?

Thanks for your help

I can awnser some questions:

Yes it comes back as either a strip (transparency) or can be mounted onto a slide thing.
It is opposite to a negative so you see what the photo is actually going to look like colour wise.
They are often sharper and have better color contrast and generally have a longer life span.
It is a lot more forgiving on the exposure front.
It means photographers can use a slide projector to display there photographs big without making a print.

You can also get B&W slide film but I have never used it (it is rare because it is hard to process, I think), hope that helps.

I can awnser some questions:

Yes it comes back as either a strip (transparency) or can be mounted onto a slide thing.
It is opposite to a negative so you see what the photo is actually going to look like colour wise.
They are often sharper and have better color contrast and generally have a longer life span.
It is a lot more forgiving on the exposure front.
It means photographers can use a slide projector to display there photographs big without making a print.

You can also get B&W slide film but I have never used it (it is rare because it is hard to process, I think), hope that helps.
So would it typically be used for scanning and projecting, rather than ordering its processing with prints?
How do you handle the strip, or is this simply the same as a negative but with a positive image?
Can you scan it the same way?

Am I right in thinking that this is the same thing as people refer to as a transparency
? Yes
Also am I correct in thinking that what you send it off for processing you get back a bunch of slides?
Yes
What's the benefit of using this over negatives?
I'd have said Lower Grain (iso 50) and far richer colours to be obtained...but not to sure with todays negative film.
And how come you dont see black and white slide film around?
You do
Agfa Scala-200 120 Professional Black & White Slide Film (ISO-200)

Slide film is beautifull, a positive image.
I saw some Rollei b/w positive film for sale at Silverprint a while back, its probably discontinued now but that was developed in c41 chemicals, it was very slow tho iso25 or something..

as Dave says above , you gotta be on the nail with exposure for trannies . *** when they are printed the lab cant make any compensation if its off , you get whats on there . people tend to say if you want to see how good your cameras meter is put a roll of slide through it.

I used to shoot 35mm slide film and have a huge selection of slides, began to develop them myself and then did a course of printing from slides for very selective pictures.
Thanks for that sheep. Does the developing process of colour slides differ much from that of b&w negs?
Do you just end up with transparencies or do you actually case them up as slides?

Well you end up with a roll of developed slide film that you can leave in strips in an A4 folder with those clear pages with pockets and/or mount the best ones in plastic slide mounts.

If i recall the process is similar but you are producing colour positives and temperture is more sensitive, labs will process E6 films and you have them back unmounted and them mount only the best.

I worked near a Freemans Mail Order Building and they used to have a lab that did E6 processing in about 2 hours so it was more time efficient for them to process it for me in the end.

This link might help on whether its actually work doing the slide processing yourself though :thinking:.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008IuY

I have just got my Bronica ETRS this week so going to be playing with b/w first when i decided which film of the choices available to use! :shrug:

So would it typically be used for scanning and projecting, rather than ordering its processing with prints?
How do you handle the strip, or is this simply the same as a negative but with a positive image?
Can you scan it the same way?

I use fuji Velvia, which is a slide, With my scanner I simply tell the program which type of film I'm scanning, ie colour positive, rather than b&w negative or colour negative. I'm sure you get the idea. You can still make prints from them, but lab cost can be slightly higher than normal colour negative prints.
On a plus, I use digital now and still don't think fuji Velvia can be beaten for low light long exposure shots.

Back