Wild Slippery stones

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I know it's been done a trillion times before but it's my first attempt at blurring water, please feel free to make any comments, if there's any improvements I can make I'd really like to know, anyway enough of me blathering on lol.

View attachment 24598

View attachment 24599

Sean.

Last edited:
Sean

It might have been done many many times before but this is about you having a go and learning etc.
As a couple of practice shots they show the effect of a slow and slower shutter speed.

The first is over exposed as a result (see the blown grass middle right) and the second shows it was done in bright light - always difficult as you're camera is wanting to take a shot of very short duration and you are going the other way!

In terms of composition, neither shout out at me but I do like the potential of the top right of the second shot - the water looks more interesting and the cascade is an interesting shape / different to normal.

PS I have posted in your Padley Gorge thread too (y)

Blurring water (or at least how much blur you opt for) is very much a personal taste.

To me - I quite like the movement you've got going on in number 2.

There are some serious issues here though but unfortunately it's hard to comment as I can't see the settings you've used.

Overcast or even dull conditions can buy you so much leeway for this kind of photography. Generally speaking in bright conditions like this you're going to be using small apertures to get the shutter speed you need. Do you have tripod / filters ?

If you tell us your settings then you will get much more helpful feedback.

Sean

It might have been done many many times before but this is about you having a go and learning etc.
As a couple of practice shots they show the effect of a slow and slower shutter speed.

The first is over exposed as a result (see the blown grass middle right) and the second shows it was done in bright light - always difficult as you're camera is wanting to take a shot of very short duration and you are going the other way!

In terms of composition, neither shout out at me but I do like the potential of the top right of the second shot - the water looks more interesting and the cascade is an interesting shape / different to normal.

PS I have posted in your Padley Gorge thread too (y)

I agree with all Seans comments, I like to blur water and sometimes it doesn't work out, so the only way of mastering it is to practice.

Only by practicing, and if all that is available is a smaller stream, so be it, when you come across a larger river the experience you have gained will be all the more valuable, so keep going and enjoy.

As mentioned the first image is overexposed and the second looks like it has far to much contrast. On a positive note you have done what you set out to do, which is blur the water. Next time yet shoot in the morning or evening when the light is softer.

Everyone has to start somewhere but for a slow shutter speed you really need a tripod, otherwise everything else is blurred too, which seems to have happened here. I can go to 1/4 sec hand held, which will create some blur on fast flowing water, but only if the camera is braced against something. You also need to select subject and location. Anything well lit will be overexposed so water running under trees on a dull day is a better bet, and no sky in the frame. Blurred water in itself does not make a good image - it has to be a good image before you blur the water.

Keep trying. Keep learning.
If it's a subject matter that is interesting to you then my advice is to ignore the "it's boring" type of comments.
There are some knowledgeable people on TP, and you will learn some serious skills from their advice.

Thanks for the comments, I'll post up the settings my camera was on and see if you guys can teach me the error of my ways.

Sean.

This is going to sound like a get out but I've just checked the LCD on my camera against the pics on my iPad which I used to download the pics and the pics are out of focus on my iPad but sharp on my camera, I'll repost the pics off my computer tomorrow and see how they look, leave it with me.

Sean.

Back