SLR Beginner Question...???

Name
Stevie
Edit My Images
No
Okay...

I'm seriously, thinking about moving to a Canon 500D...

Now my ignorance shows...there are EF an EF-S lenses...a multiplier is used for EF 18-55 becomes 29-88mm...

Can I use EF lenses on this camera...and do they just produce their focal lengths...ie 70-200mm gives me 70-200mm...

I've been looking at lenses...new and used...and just not too sure what to consider...lower ie f2.8 or f4.0...or IS...!!!

I little help will go a long way...

NEARLY FORGOT TO ASK...when it has Macro added to a lens description...does this mean that it can be used to also shoot macro..ie on both zooms and primes...I've been using a hybrid...so forgive my non-SLR thinkings...

THANKS TO ALL THAT CAN HELP...!!!

STEVIER

It's a commonly asked question! All the Canon EOS range will accept EF lenses, but only the models with a cropped sensor (500D, 40D, 50D etc) will take EF-S lenses. When an EF lens is coupled to a cropped sensor body, the image that hits the sensor is only the middle bit of the image created by the lens. So it's not a case of the focal length changing, it stays the same, just it appears that way.

EF-S lenses produce a smaller image, so the whole thing is captured on the sensor. If you modified an EF-S lens to fit a full-frame camera, you would see a black ring around the outside of the picture, as the lens wouldn't actually be sending any light there.

It depends what you shoot really, I'd always take the f/2.8 over IS, as IS will only help with stationary subjects, whereas a larger aperture will freeze motion with a faster shutter speed. If I could afford both, I would!

Back