Smallish Satchel Type Bags

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I want a satchel type bag that'll be able to carry something like a D7100 and lens (Tamron 28-75mm) and maybe a couple of small primes or flash etc. Any recommendations? Cheers

Hi milster

Just got back from a trip where I took my Bilingham Packington. Was delighted with the bag on lots of levels: capacious, comfortable, safe, discrete, a few handy front, back and side pockets, decent level of protection...... Etc. Would highly recommend.

Regards

Gary

I use a lowepro passport sling, it's great because I can carry my D300 with a grip in the expandable section, then when i put the bag on and get the camera out I can zip up the collapsable part of the bag and it's nice a compact. But It can still carry my 80-200m, flash and a spare slide in battery pack for the grip, as well as a bottle of juice, poop bags for the muttley, as well as other bits and bobs, and it only cost me about £20 ish.

If you want something waterproof against uk winter rain, I can't think of a substitute for a Billingham. They don't need those silly extra raincovers that some bags have. Maybe a Hadley Pro.

I'd suggest something along the lines of a Thinktank Retrospective or Billingham Hadley Pro, or maybe a Billingham F1.4. I have a Retro 20 and Billingham Hadley Pro Large and they're both very good camera bags.

Thinktank Retro much less weatherproof than a Billingham? It's not just the fabric, its the lid design lacking hooded ends (rain doesn't always fall vertically). Hadley Pro should fit your stated gear, likewise an F1.4 - one of which (in khaki Fibernite) I'm thinking of selling ... still pretty new, but I'm moving away from shoulder bags, sacrificing ease of access for spreading the weight over two shoulders ...

Yeh Billinghams are waterproof as standard but the retro comes with a raincover, obviously restricting access when it's on the bag.
I do like the retro though, it's a nice bag to carry around and the padded shoulder strap (supplied as standard, unlike the sp50 I had to buy) is very good. I'd be more likely to use my billingham if it was raining though.

If you accept the limitations, think tank retro's are an amazing bag. Sounds like a 7 or 10 would suit your needs.

Yes, waterproofing is by rain cover, but the fact the bags just never feel bulky more than makes up for it.

you will need to be in very heavy and long rain to get the inside of a retrospective wet. i havent managed it in wales and have never used the raincover.

Back