Smashing fun with a smashed filter

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so we all know that putting a protective filter on the front of your lens degrades the image ... but by how much?

One of our customers had a mishap with this filter recently. We thought it might be fun to see what effect it had on images.
6209-1406723210-4f4b81f4d13af9641fe923e910cb83b5.jpg

You might be surprised by the results! I've written it up in this blog post:
http://lensesforhire.blogspot.com/2014/07/smashing-fun-with-filters.html

That's pretty revealing TBH
And to quote you ;)
And dust on the front of the lens ... don't worry about it!

I certainly wouldn't have expected such little effect on the images. Interesting read.

Yes, of course. It was good to have the opportunity to try it ourselves!
Have to say I've found more issues with filters the longer the focal length. The one I tried last (which was an expensive filter) rendered bokeh terribly (it was on a 70-200 f4 which was a beautiful lens).
That's interesting. On our Facebook page somebody has said "doubt with the decreased magnification you'd be able to get away with a broken filter so much with a wider lens , say 35mm". Methinks you can't both be right. Or maybe you can. Maybe by pure luck we picked the ONLY focal length where it doesn't matter very much... though Occam's Razor suggests not.

Yes, of course. It was good to have the opportunity to try it ourselves!
That's interesting. On our Facebook page somebody has said "doubt with the decreased magnification you'd be able to get away with a broken filter so much with a wider lens , say 35mm". Methinks you can't both be right. Or maybe you can. Maybe by pure luck we picked the ONLY focal length where it doesn't matter very much... though Occam's Razor suggests not.
200mm F4 Canon 450D. This was completely consistent - took me an age to figure out why I was unhappy with the output.

Without UV filter:
6211-1406741120-b1b9140620cfa99dfee0338e8ec99b6e.jpg

With UV filter:
6212-1406741121-5f505a43dc99da2c90892c1785193f7a.jpg

200mm F4 Canon 450D. This was completely consistent - took me an age to figure out why I was unhappy with the output.

Without UV filter:

With UV filter:

Thats not a accurate test to show as the picture you claim without the filter is smaller than the one with a UV filter so even if they were the same the small size image will be better...

A broken front lens element or a smashed filter will affect contrast and flare but given the image is focused on the film plane or sensor it has very little effect on the image.

Thats not a accurate test to show as the picture you claim without the filter is smaller than the one with a UV filter so even if they were the same the small size image will be better...
Err.. No.

They are the same size pixels (they are 100% crops). The photos were taken from the same position, with the same zoom - they are just not the same crops. The one with the filter has a wider field of view. Put them in Photoshop (or your favourite editor) and overlay them if you like.

If you don't want to believe me, don't. But this was a B&W filter that was never put back on the lens after those two photos were taken. In fact it was chucked in the bin - I wasn't going to palm it off on anyone....

In fact, I've done it for you... Here is the sharp one overlaid on the unsharp one.... Bottom, and both sides are most obvious...

6227-1406846128-70d70c2eb5399760e7749d8e9f818d88.jpg

Err.. No.

They are the same size pixels (they are 100% crops). The photos were taken from the same position, with the same zoom - they are just not the same crops. The one with the filter has a wider field of view. Put them in Photoshop (or your favourite editor) and overlay them if you like.

If you don't want to believe me, don't. But this was a B&W filter that was never put back on the lens after those two photos were taken. In fact it was chucked in the bin - I wasn't going to palm it off on anyone....

In fact, I've done it for you... Here is the sharp one overlaid on the unsharp one.... Bottom, and both sides are most obvious...

Errr...Thats better :) & Try not to get so hot headed and defence over a post next time (y)

Without UV filter:

With UV filter:

I am pretty certain this is a fake filter. You may have paid for a genuine one but I'd be very suspicious about it, particularly if the thread isn't brass or the font is slightly odd. I hope you took it back for a refund.

I am pretty certain this is a fake filter. You may have paid for a genuine one but I'd be very suspicious about it, particularly if the thread isn't brass or the font is slightly odd. I hope you took it back for a refund.
As far as I could tell it was genuine (and yes, I did look extensively).

Errr...Thats better :) & Try not to get so hot headed and defence over a post next time (y)
Try to be a little less accusative and condescending in your next post where you are telling someone they are wrong ;)

As far as I could tell it was genuine (and yes, I did look extensively).

They are getting better and better looking. Try simple genuine Hoya pro1D UV - you won't see that effect (I have that combo).

Very interesting blog - many thanks for sharing. Lets hope your customers don't take to scratching the front element to see what the effects are !

They are getting better and better looking. Try simple genuine Hoya pro1D UV - you won't see that effect (I have that combo).
Don't have the camera/lens any more (I've moved to cameras that focus properly ;))...

...or any interest in using a filter again :)

Put the OPs filter on a Tokina 11-16mm, it will be very very noticeable.

Er -

Crops from a 100-400:

Unfiltered - Hoya Pro Elite Super-Dooper HD (whichever is the expensive one) - Noname

Filter%20Comparison%20100-400.jpg

Err.. No.

You should've kept that filter, would've been great for any portraits where you wanted to soften the detail. Could've saved you some time in photoshop. ;)

Check your facts before berating a poster, especially one with a reputation like Andy's.

I'm with Joe here. I looked at the two photos, saw that they were different FOVs and different sizes and struggled to see what they were actually showing me. The overlay was infinitely more useful.

Back