Beginner Smoke Art first attempts

Good first attempt James, I like to keep the incense stick out of the shot I focus on a magazine held behind the shot then switch to manual that way I don't have to reframe after focusing keep it up but be warned it's addictive!

Very nice James, I looked on your Flickr to see the two not showing. I'd say the 1st is my favourite. Very nice colours on all of them.

Good first attempt James, I like to keep the incense stick out of the shot I focus on a magazine held behind the shot then switch to manual that way I don't have to reframe after focusing keep it up but be warned it's addictive!

Thanks Jay, and congrats on your photo of the week.

I actually like the incense stick in the shot, because it gives the image context, if that makes sense?

Thanks for your focusing tips, I plan to make some set-up changes next time i give this a go.

Very nice James, I looked on your Flickr to see the two not showing. I'd say the 1st is my favourite. Very nice colours on all of them.

Thanks Mike, fixed the images (I replaced them on Flickr & i thought they would update)

James

Cheers James it was unexpected to be honest, don't forget dodging and burning the image as it can help define/enhance areas of the image be careful when burning though as the smoke can start to disappear which can ruin your image

To colour your smoke trail do the following in Photoshop:

Use the gradient fill tool set it to foreground to transparent, select radial 40% opacity and overlay as the blending mode choose any colour you want and fill over the areas you want to colour in.

Back