Smoke Photography (first go)

Name
Anand
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Was itching to do something new for a while and thought of this. My first go at this type of photography.

Would greatly appreciate constructive comments for improving, especially on PPing colours. Do think the color on these look quite random as was finding it hard to understand Hue/Saturation controls. So any insight in to this would be great.

7481184694_c973f0d47e_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

7481187190_44fab3c6ee_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Thanks and regards,
Anand

Hi

I like them and am intrigued to the technique.
Very sharp.
Only thing I would like is to either see source of the smoke or complete black frame so as smoke looks like it's floating.

Hi Anand,

A simple way I find is to take your smoke photo (against blk backgr) into editing proggy add a new layer and open a colourful photograph on this second layer.
Then change blend mode to Color (works well) and adjust the %transparency for the desired effect.
This one was done this way and I added a texture layer as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58758635@N04/7489714698

Last edited:
weirdo109 said:
Hi

I like them and am intrigued to the technique.
Very sharp.
Only thing I would like is to either see source of the smoke or complete black frame so as smoke looks like it's floating.

Thanks for your kind comments. Actually it isn't difficult to photograph these at all, albeit can be a bit tricky.

I know what you mean about the frame...just thinking the best way make the smoke looking floating as the source is continuous...probably may have to PP it?? Unless there is an easier way..

johnty52 said:
Hi Anand,

A simple way I find is to take your smoke photo (against blk backgr) into editing proggy add a new layer and open a colourful photograph on this second layer.
Then change blend mode to Color (works well) and adjust the %transparency for the desired effect.
This one was done this way and I added a texture layer as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58758635@N04/7489714698

Wow! Thats a nice photo.

A new technique completely...will definitely give this a try..just out of interest what did you use for your smoke..? Incense stick...? Just love those pattern.

Anand, I used an incense stick with a black backdrop and off camera flashes at 45 deg to the smoke, one with a yellow gel.
good luck,

John

johnty52 said:
Anand, I used an incense stick with a black backdrop and off camera flashes at 45 deg to the smoke, one with a yellow gel.
good luck,

John

Thanks.

MWHCVT said:
I love them (y) the subtle colours of the second really work well for me (y) and or a first time I think you've done really well, a lot better than many of the first goes that I've seen (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks Matt. Colouring really was touch and go ;)

Nice clean pictures - I have been experimenting with these for the first time today as well. You asked about colouring, if you have photoshop or similar one way is to create a new blank layer above your picture - using a brush and colours of your choice paint over the smoke. Then, at the top of the layer stack there is a drop-down box next to the word "normal" select "overlay" and then reduce the opacity to suit your preferences.

Kerioak said:
Nice clean pictures - I have been experimenting with these for the first time today as well. You asked about colouring, if you have photoshop or similar one way is to create a new blank layer above your picture - using a brush and colours of your choice paint over the smoke. Then, at the top of the layer stack there is a drop-down box next to the word "normal" select "overlay" and then reduce the opacity to suit your preferences.

Thanks a lot. Knew there would have been alternative way than being at the mercy of adjusting hue and saturation. Still new to Elements...will give this technique a go when I get rid of my man-flu (sorry, real flu) :)

Would be nice to see your work as well.

mattd85 said:
Really like it, I must try this soon. What will I need?

Matt

Thanks Matt. Set up is dead easy...but its time it takes to get that perfect shot. All you would need is -
A. Black background and a stand to support it (used my wife's 2xblack trouser hung on a cloth drier)
B. Kit lens would do..but Macro lens are suppose to be better for close focus. I used my 50mm prime 1.8.
C. Off camera portable flash, I used jessops 360 afd.
D. Incense stick and lighter (will find them at any asian/Chinese shops).
E. Radio triggers.
F. And of course a camera (i used Nikon D5000, but sure Canon claim to be equally good ;-))

Just position the flash behind the smoke or at front at 45 degree. If positioning at 45 you'll need a black card on background side to prevent light spillage.

You're good to go with the above. Just darken the room. Use auto-focus to focus on incense glow or AF light on your camera is good enough to focus on smoke itself. Once focused, re-frame as required. Switch to Manual focus, and start clicking. Keep adjusting AF when required.

Once on PC, you can either adjust hue/saturation or use the tecnique described in some of the posts here to add colour.

Hope that was useful. If you're stuck, just give us a shout. Sure there are tons of people here ready to help.

Happy shooting!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Knew there would have been alternative way than being at the mercy of adjusting hue and saturation. Still new to Elements...will give this technique a go when I get rid of my man-flu (sorry, real flu) :)

Would be nice to see your work as well.

Hope you feel better soon, I also have a bug but being a female have to keep going :D

I posted some this afternoon - no response yet (hint) I tried a few different things

Kerioak said:
Hope you feel better soon, I also have a bug but being a female have to keep going :D

I posted some this afternoon - no response yet (hint) I tried a few different things

Thanks. Hope you feel better soon as well.
Lucky you're a female as man-flu is a killer :)

Sorry, didn't see your post as was on my mobile scrolling current posts. Comments made now.

matt b said:
I got that from a local art shop in Colchester.

Thanks, never thought of that. Will try our local craft shop.

Back