Beginner Smudge's last day

Name
Oksana
Edit My Images
Yes
I was asked by a good friend to come and take photos of her and her bunny because she had to have him put to sleep that day and she didn't have any good photos of them together. I was, like, "Who? Me? Me and my little old D5100?! We're not that good." But she was adamant that anything I take will be tonnes better than what she does. I was REALLY worried. It was like being asked to shoot a wedding (just one opportunity!), but sad rather than happy, and I really wanted her to have some good shots of her and her beloved bunny. It was so sunny, I really worried about blown highlights. Plus I had that Sigma 18-250mm superzoom that I hate so much because it's not that sharp. Short exposure, f/11, ISO 100 and even on full zoom (I didn't want to be in her face with my beeps and clicks) they turned out reasonably sharp. No blown highlights. She was very happy with the photos, but I was even happier I didn't mess it up. Sharing 5 photos for your viewing. They turned out super-sharp for what I've seen from that lens before, I could see every bunny hair stuck to her eyelashes. And no blown hightlights on a white bunny. Phew!

Photo 1

Photo 2
[

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Not being a rabbit owner myself, I honestly would not know where to start with taking interesting photos of said animal.

Good on you for helping our your friend with such a delicate situation. The rabbit looks pretty old so I wouldnt expect any hopping shots and I am sure your friend will appreciate these. Good control on the white fur, seeing some blown out highlights on the head but to be honest.

Not sure why you used F11 though when you could have used it as wide open as possible (for a more blurred background) and just upped the shutterspeed to accommodate - I'd be shooting F11 for landscapes or a group of people - but you've managed the exposure well and got some nice snaps of her pet. Well done (y)

Nice images well done. Love your description and thought process. You sound very much like myself.

Gaz

Back