Snow in the Lake District

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
10 hours driving (there and back) and a -5 degree C overnight stay in a tent for these shots. To be honest it was a bit of a change of plan, the minor roads were covered in black ice so we had to stay around Keswick, the forecast also was not as forecasted so we spent a lot of time chasing the light (and missing it!).

Newlands Valley by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Ashness Bridge by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Lake District Snow Sunset by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Castlerigg Star Trails by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Snowy Sunset Derwent Fells by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Blencathra and Tewet Tarn by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Derwent Dawn B & W by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. C & C welcome, snow shots are hard to edit for me.

An excellent set of photos. The star trails are like an energy vortex above the mystical stone circle.

Lovely set of images, well worth the dive in my view!

All excellent shots, Craig. Numbers 1, 4, 5 and 7 especially. Even if you missed some light, what you caught was well worth the chase. The trees in number 5 remind me of the Bruegel painting - Hunters in the Snow.

Dave

4 and 7 are my favourites, but all of them have fine details in them. Great stuff!

Omg. These are great. I feel so lazy sat in my pj's :)

Gaz

This stars trails over stone circle is amazing!
Then the first shot is great, I love these landscape whit different juxtaposition of plan and the contrast snow/green has emphasis this.
The mono at the end is also stunning with beautiful reflection.

A great set!

A superb set of images. It's hard to pick a favourite but what can definitely be said that it was certainly worth the long drive and cold temperatures.

Nice work Craig! It was worth the trip!

No 1 Nice Shot, wonder how you processed, gives me a bit of a mild HDR feeling...? Its an excellent vista! love the patches of light where the sun brushes the snowcapped peaks and how it highlights the green fields in the valley below. Great contrast between the snow and the green of the valleys. the exposure just getting a bit naughty on the LH side, just about under control. Like the contours of the edge of the hillside in the foreground made more prominent by the snow. Nice Work... i think i would pull in a tiny bit of grad at an angle on the LH side to cool off that exposure.

No 2 Another nice shot, love those snowcapped peaks featuring on the horizon, nice light clipping them too.....Great! The rivers a great lead in as is strong RH diagonal of the hillside. Lovely movement in the water shutter speed very good. Really nice colour in the bracken on the hillside versus the nearly mono of the mountains and rocks. Nice foreground interest and texture in the rock which is sharp. Only niggle (and only as i try and avoid it in my shots, but you cant always:() is the branches on the LH and RH side of the frame. Then its shakespearean soliloquies "To clone or not to clone, that is the question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the branches"......... I never win when i ask this to myself.... I hate to clone stuff out and i dont like these "objects" that worry your eye... You cant win and i can never answer that question myself.
Any how its just nit picking really!

No 3 Belting Sky! I love the colours in the sky really nice, Nice dark division created by the grasses in the lower third of the frame. Like the lone tree, stood there fighting the elements. Its a great scene. A bit 50:50 but it holds up well here as the sky and the mountains are well balanced off each other, both equally deserving.

No 4 Something i have never got round to doing, and you picked a great spot for it! Love the backdrop Glad you got a nice clear night for that one, works really well. I wonder what the very faint line is running from the peak on the LH side diagonally to the right, an aircraft i guess. Its a really nice clear shot, and its your backdrop that really makes it stand out. I must say you have really done the star trails justice, Well Done nicely shot. (Note to self must do this soon).

No 5 Thats a corker, sky is beautiful, what lovely gradients. Really nice patchwork of snowy fields with scattered dwellings. The houses give a great sense of scale to the whole thing. Thats the dead right diagonal Right to Left for a excellent lead in, and a brush of colour in the reeds and grasses in the foreground. Mountains and fells look stunning in the snow! Well shot, Nice exposure (even for a Canon;)).

No 6 Gives a great impression of the pure mass of Blencathra and the area, weather fronts moving in from the right, really nice Pano view... theres something an snow and mountains almost synonymous. Last of the light just clipping off the peaks.

No 7 Very Nice! very nice foreground love the frozen grasses, nice and sharp, great reflections of the fells and the sky in the water, like the distant peak just poking up through the saddle on the right. Streaming clouds whats not to like.

Difficult to pick a clear winner... I'm with Dave here 1, 4, 5, and 7.

Lovely work, you certainly had the weather if not always the light, not a wasted trip! (y)

great set- that is dedication right there with great result!

2,5 and 7 but all are outstanding. You're dedication is evident in these. Kudo to you :)

Lovely set, well worth the long drive and cold conditions.like em all ..

stunning shots. 1 and 7 stand out (for me) more than the others. the detail in No.1 is amazing. the sky in No.5 kinda puts me off the shot - takes away from the foreground image - slightly overwhelming.

Last edited:
All of them are really nice, but for me, #2, #3, #4 and #5 are the pick.....absolutely worth the time and effort! :)

Gorgeous set of images there , partic like Ashness bridge with the snow capped mountains in the distance & the Castlerigg star trails :clap::clap:......no crit too offer as couldn't produce anything near as good

some really good shots there and well worth the effort, the pick for me is 5 as I enjoy sunsets and thats stunning with the snow and when I move the page up the screen to crop out the blue sky above the clouds the pink sky really stands out and contrasts against the snow, and all the trees against the snowy background makes it very different.
Pleased you made the effort as we would have missed out.

Some fabulous images on here today! This set is right up there too!
I'm struggling to pick a favourite, but if you hold a gun to my head I'll choose number three.

A superb set of images, very difficult to pick a favourite but for me the sky in number 3 makes it the one.
Just shows if you put in the effort then you will get the results. Well done

Lovely set, worth the effort :)

no 1 is my fave, I love the way the light spills down the glen.

Loving these in particular number 1.

We are up that way in early Feb so hope to get some nice pictures.

Love #5. Makes me realise how lucky I am living on the doorstep after you made that journey to take these shots!

Thanks for all the kind comments, did not expect this. Steve thanks for the detailed feedback.

Number 1 for me has the dramatic interest and beautiful low lighting. Having said that, I'm sure I couldn't match any of those images and I certainly don't fancy -5C in a tent!

Excellent set! Very impressed indeed! A genre i've never tried. Would you mind telling me how you exposed/filters/etc.

Cheers
John

Back