Snowdon Snaps 2

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
After being determined to beat the Snowdon Noddy Train to the top (Which i did, but have to say i just dropped SWMBO and Co at the bottom to queue for the train). I think that is the fastest i had ever been up the Llanberis path, mind you collapsed at the top. The original plan was to come up by the Pyg track but they would have had to wait some time for me to arrive at the top if i had to drop them and drive round to Pen-Y-Pass.
After the "Others" arrived and made several ageist jokes, and after half an hour i managed to catch my breath. I surveyed the New Cafe / Bunker that has replaced the old concrete cafe, i guess its hard to consider a building in such places. Anyhow time to take a few pictures and although as you see the light was not good it was surpassed by the blue skies and lovely clouds. it was whipping up over the top at a fair lick.
I call them Snaps because just had the camera nothing else.... I knew the light would be unforgiving but the Clouds and Scenery always makes my heart leap, i love this area, it makes me feel alive (And certainly beats driving 60 miles into London every day for a living:().

Its on the list for a revisit...

Garnedd Ugain on the left leading down to Crib Goch. Looking down on the Pyg Track and Miners Track. Glaslyn in the foreground and Llyn Llydwal behind.

Crib Goch
by sacrickman, on Flickr

Walkers trekking the last few feet to the summit

Snowdon Summit
by sacrickman, on Flickr

Y Lliwedd

Y Lliwedd
by sacrickman, on Flickr

Looking down on Y Lliwedd from Snowdon Summit

Y Lliwedd
by sacrickman, on Flickr

Breathtaking beautiful place...

You were lucky with the cloud layers as they make the images. I do like the 2nd one. One day I hope to look at Crib Goch without shivers going down my spine, but maybe the damage is just too deep. I just wish the cafe wasn't there.........

Hi Steve, it certainly is a difficult height to get to and given the time you had before returning to the train you have certainly done Y Lliwedd GREAT justice, something tells me you have spent many an hour on the roof top of Wales ;), lovely cpmposition indeed IMO, thank you for sharing
kevin

Last edited:
You were lucky with the cloud layers as they make the images. I do like the 2nd one. One day I hope to look at Crib Goch without shivers going down my spine, but maybe the damage is just too deep. I just wish the cafe wasn't there.........

Thank you very much Janny. I was quite worried about remark about Crib Goch, I hope you haven't had an incident up there, have helped several people off of there in the past, it can be very dangerous particularly in windy or bad weather. Not an arête for the novice... I remember we helped a group off where one lady had just frozen with fear. helping.

Hi Steve, it certainly is a difficult height to get to and given the time you had before returning to the train you have certainly done Y Lliwedd GREAT justice, something tells me you have spent many an hour on the roof top of Wales ;), lovely cpmposition indeed IMO, thank you for sharing
kevin

I didn't use the Noddy Train Kev, I dropped SWMBO and Father in law off at the station, the hoofed it up the Llanberis path. By the time they walked round the shop had a bite to eat, queued up and got tickets, I was well up there. (They said they went to Caernarfon and back before they caught the train to give me a chance).
It took me about 2hours up and about 1.5 ish to get down. I love that place, I wondered how they took the Hotel down, I've seen some other shots of the summit and the new building does seem to blend in better than the old hotel. Once I sat up there best part of the day was lovely. Only been up there once in the snow.... Fantastic.

Thanks for the kind comments
Steve

Defiantly, Kev would love to. I will let you know when I'm coming up again and we'll get together.
It was about 2hours 15mins I guess, I was only carrying the camera mind and I was clogging it a bit as I was going to make sure they didn't beat me. I was exhausted at the top (that was naughty should have known better than doing that) I might even have roast goose next time I'm up;)

Last edited:
Smashing set Steve, I like them all
Thank you Dave. It's just the place, it's lovely. Check out the local lads pictures on here they really do it justice.
I'd move at the drop of a hat if I won the lottery.

Better than snaps they are a lovely set:)
Thank you Woollyback! I used to spend a bit of time there, I love the Glyders, Tryfan etc. The clouds and sky made the day even though the light wasn't the best. Come to think of it this must of been one of the few times I have been there when the weather was good!:)

Thank you both once again for the kind remarks, much appreciated.
Steve

Last edited:
Nice shots Steve. I think this is the first time I have seen shots of Snowdonia from you. You've done a really good job.

Thank you very much Janny. I was quite worried about remark about Crib Goch, I hope you haven't had an incident up there, have helped several people off of there in the past, it can be very dangerous particularly in windy or bad weather. Not an arête for the novice... I remember we helped a group off where one lady had just frozen with fear. helping.

Nothing that dramatic, Steve, but a cautionary tale all the same. It was many years ago (I was about 16). My father & I were up there for the weekend giving my brother a lift to a mountaineering club weekend. I asked one of the guys for an interesting way up Snowdon and he said 'Crib Goch', without asking me my experience level, which was plenty of moorland walking but I'd never been up a real mountain in my life. My father opted for the PYG track so we walked together till the path splits. Having negotiated the first scramble (seemed like a sheer cliff to me - I'm not a climber) by following someone, I saw the ridge in all it's glory. My first thought was 'I can't do that', second was 'I can't go back down that cliff', third was 'even if I could, Dad's on his way to the top to meet me & will go nuts if I'm not there, & I can't let him know I'll be several hours behind him' (no mobile phones then). I had to go on and I did. After the first bit I don't remember being particularly scared - I think I was too busy thinking of the next move. I didn't go over the top - it was a sort of crablike traverse a few feet down one side. I don't think the impact of what I'd done hit me till I saw photos years later & now it makes me go weak at the knees. Funnily enough I haven't been to Snowdonia since, but more from lack of opportunity than anything else. And the fact that's it's so popular puts me off a bit as well. I really don't like walking with crowds of people. One day I will get up there, even if just for a weekend, as it's such a beautiful area. (My Flickr avatar is the summit photo my father took that day.............)

Nice shots Steve. I think this is the first time I have seen shots of Snowdonia from you. You've done a really good job.
Hi Roger, thanks for looking. Yes it's been a long time since I was there! Stupid me, because I love the place. Comes from the rat race life style nowadays:(. I was a mountain leader and went to all those stunning places and never carried a camera of any description (shame on me). For all that time, I think I have 3 pictures somewhere of me taken by someone else... Anyhow now before I'm too old;) I want to take all those pictures I never took! Unfortunately my colleagues won't be in them:(. So that's the plan. Thank you for your kind comments, I'm glad you think I have done them justice. I appreciate your comments.

Nothing that dramatic, Steve, but a cautionary tale all the same. It was many years ago (I was about 16). My father & I were up there for the weekend giving my brother a lift to a mountaineering club weekend. I asked one of the guys for an interesting way up Snowdon and he said 'Crib Goch', without asking me my experience level, which was plenty of moorland walking but I'd never been up a real mountain in my life. My father opted for the PYG track.)

Hi Jan, talk about a baptism of fire! I'd have recommended you'd gone with your Dad;). It's certainly my favourite way up, makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck:). I took my wife up Striding Edge in the lakes she said never again, when she saw Crib Goch she said no way. I'm so glad to hear your story had a happy ending, some don't:(. I don't like the busy routes and Snowdon like most others is busy on weekends I guess. In most cases used to go weekdays out of season, early or late in the year, and don't take the motorway routes up like Llanberis path. This trip was really just to take my 84 year old Father in law up around the area, hence they went on the train to the summit, it wasn't a walking / photography break :(. I'm already planning a trip back, was going to go in November but SWIMBO has other ideas:( There are a lot of other peaks up there which are much less popular but equally beautiful. Ha! Yes saw you're avatar, some lovely photographs there Jan! Dartmoor:) Spent a some time trudging round there dragging kit around freezing cold and soaking wet:(.
Take care then, remember to plan that trip back up to North Wales! Thank you again for the comments.

Nice shots Steve and great clouds..

I'm going with 2 as my favourite, strong lead-in along Y LLiwedd which also sits nicely on the "3rds" so it has the best balance for me.

Shot 1 is nice but does leave me wanting to see a bit more of Llyn Llydaw below

Shot 3, I like how you've balanced the foreground with the summit, like sister peaks

Shot 4.. I wouldn't normally go with the 50/50 split but obviously the sky is great so I can see why you've included so much

Simon

Hi Simon, Thank you!
Really appreciate your comments. Despite it being a beatiful place, it was the skys that did it for me. In fact i hadn't planned to take any pictures that day as i knew that the time of day the family had selected to go up there was not going to be favorable for the light. Because i had planned to beat them up i knew it was going to be struggle so i just took the camera and no gear (wish i'd taken a tripod at least now).

I liked these shots out of the ones i took.... And there was one that struck me with stunning shots on my previous post

Y Lliwedd Clouds
by sacrickman, on Flickr

Thanks for your comments Simon!

Beautiful shots Steve. Love the cloud structures and compositions :). I really wish I wasn't so bloody lazy and made the effort to get up there every now and then. I cant even blame my age (32) lol.

You could always cheat and nip up on the train;)
BTW i noticed Manchester and Isle of Wight? do you get down my neck of the woods in Hampshire much then?

I think that was the best weather i have ever been up there in, just when i was getting used to horizontal rain;).
I need to get up to North Wales much more often, its a lovely area and you are spoilt for choice for Photography, maybe thats why you havnt got to the summit much Rich. So much to do so little time, always.

Thank you very much for the kind comments Rich, all the best.

You could always cheat and nip up on the train;)
BTW i noticed Manchester and Isle of Wight? do you get down my neck of the woods in Hampshire much then?

I think that was the best weather i have ever been up there in, just when i was getting used to horizontal rain;).
I need to get up to North Wales much more often, its a lovely area and you are spoilt for choice for Photography, maybe thats why you havnt got to the summit much Rich. So much to do so little time, always.

Thank you very much for the kind comments Rich, all the best.
Morning Steve.

Yes, I'm down on the Isle of Wight every 3-4 weeks for a weekend. Was born and raised there and only moved up t'north 2 years ago. Great place for photography, unfortunately there are a lot of good photographers over there that have done a lot of the spots to death now lol.

I will use your excuse Steve. It must be the fact that there is some much to capture I never make it up there haha. Nothing to do with being bloody lazy at all ;-). I am lucky that I can visit both now. Got a caravan in north wales so it's only a 40 min drive to snowden and the surrounding area. Spend a lot of time on Anglesey too. Guess it feels a bit like home being another island :)

Ah missed this post Rich, it's a bit of a hike for you down here, then across to the island isn't it. Yes Wales is a fantastic place for photography, climbing and walking. In fact I nearly moved to Rhosneigr on Anglesey when I came out of the military but a better job opportunity (well more money) came up down here. I often wonder how things would have panned out had I moved up there. If I win the lottery I'd love a place there..

I know the boys;) might have done it to death but to be honest I would never get sick of looking at them, hooked on mountains and the wilds, always try and get to somewhere at least once a year. Please feel free to do it to death mate will be happy to look and wish I was there with you.

Yes I have seen you're photographs of Anglesey and some of your night shots.... Very nice work, i like your Flickr site:)
I see you do a spot of fishing, I used to do a fair bit off Hurst castle, Lepe and Chesil beach until it just became so poor I packed it in.
All the best
Steve

Ah missed this post Rich, it's a bit of a hike for you down here, then across to the island isn't it. Yes Wales is a fantastic place for photography, climbing and walking. In fact I nearly moved to Rhosneigr on Anglesey when I came out of the military but a better job opportunity (well more money) came up down here. I often wonder how things would have panned out had I moved up there. If I win the lottery I'd love a place there..

I know the boys;) might have done it to death but to be honest I would never get sick of looking at them, hooked on mountains and the wilds, always try and get to somewhere at least once a year. Please feel free to do it to death mate will be happy to look and wish I was there with you.

Yes I have seen you're photographs of Anglesey and some of your night shots.... Very nice work, i like your Flickr site:)
I see you do a spot of fishing, I used to do a fair bit off Hurst castle, Lepe and Chesil beach until it just became so poor I packed it in.
All the best
Steve
It is a fair old trek for me Steve but I have kids on the island so will be travelling back and forth for years to come lol. I love rhosneigr. Beautiful place. But there simply is no work for me in north wales (plenty in the south). Im the same with regards to moving there if I won the lottery lol.

I do still enjoy taking shot of the island and I certainly appreciate it much more now I no longer live here.

Been a fisherman all my life. Used to spend pretty much every spare hour on a beach or in my boat. Used to head to chesil this time of year regularly for the first run of codling. Its the fishing I miss most (besides my kids) since moving north. Still get to dabble from time to time but its atleast an hours drive to the nearest beach instead of the 10 minutes to any beach on the island lol.

Cheers Rich

Back