So Confused About Filters and Holders!

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys!

I've been wanting to get some ND and ND grads for a while but get put off every time because I can't seem to find which holders work on which lenses, all of this P series, Z series, Z Pro!

So I thought I'd ask specifically! I don't want to break the bank being a student so don't want a "Just buy a Lee holder" response or something :)

I am shooting full frame and the lens I'd be using for now is a Nikon 18-35 3.5-4.5 with 77mm thread

What would you guys recommend for that focal length as I don't want any vignetting from the holder

Thanks in advance :)

I'm not really sure to be honest with you as I don't know how much what I require is at either end of the spectrum :/

Budget to mid range as a vague indication :p

Well it's a long time since I've used Cokin but you'd be looking at the Z-pro series which are the 100mm filters which will work well with your 18-35. Be careful with Cokins as some introduce pink colour casts to everything which is almost impossible to remove.

Lee wise, if you could afford it, a 77mm wide angle filter adaptor and foundation kit is £91 (with 10% off at Wex at the moment, code FILTER1014 so £82 ish) but then the filters are some £70 each.

Why not start with just a holder and a couple of filters. Say a nd and a 2 or 3 stop hard grad. That way you may be able to buy Lee 150 filters. Get to understand how to get the best out of them. And then start to add more as you need them.

Well it's a long time since I've used Cokin but you'd be looking at the Z-pro series which are the 100mm filters which will work well with your 18-35. Be careful with Cokins as some introduce pink colour casts to everything which is almost impossible to remove.

Lee wise, if you could afford it, a 77mm wide angle filter adaptor and foundation kit is £91 (with 10% off at Wex at the moment, code FILTER1014 so £82 ish) but then the filters are some £70 each.

Yeh, Lee is definitely not something I'd be delving into in that case!

I'll look into the Z-Pro then which was what I thought the case might be. Do you know of any other brands that are similar to the Cokin?

Why not start with just a holder and a couple of filters. Say a nd and a 2 or 3 stop hard grad. That way you may be able to buy Lee 150 filters. Get to understand how to get the best out of them. And then start to add more as you need them.

Yeh, I only intended to get a couple of filters to be honest... Which holder would you recommend? Obviously bearing in mind what I just said above :)

Must admit I use The Lee system. I think it has the best holder and the 150 filters give plenty of adjustment.

I'll look into the Z-Pro then which was what I thought the case might be. Do you know of any other brands that are similar to the Cokin?

Hi-tech is the other one to look into, I have a 0.9 soft grad of theirs which is pretty good with no colour cast etc, just don't use it very often. I think they have got more expensive over time, to levels not far off Lee.

There is formatt too but think they might be rebranded hi-techs? Not sure.

The Hitech filters don't seem to be too badly priced, some seem way more expensive though -.-

What about Kood, another name I see floating around?

I have Cokin P series. The holder dimensions are on their web site and I assume other manufacturers web site contain dimension information too so it may be worthwhile doing some Googling. The P series are ok for lenses up to 82mm diameter and from 28mm FoV onwards (35mm format) say Cokin. There's also the issue of standard holder or wide angle slim holder but they're cheap so I bought both and a few Cokin rings and standard step up rings.

I bought my filters over a period of time and although I've read on forums that Cokin filters can introduce colour casts I can't say that I've ever ran into any serious issues.

Kood filters fit the Cokin holders and are, say Kood, fully compatible. Full details are on their web site.

I have Cokin P series. The holder dimensions are on their web site and I assume other manufacturers web site contain dimension information too so it may be worthwhile doing some Googling. The P series are ok for lenses up to 82mm diameter and from 28mm FoV onwards (35mm format) say Cokin. There's also the issue of standard holder or wide angle slim holder but they're cheap so I bought both and a few Cokin rings and standard step up rings.

I bought my filters over a period of time and although I've read on forums that Cokin filters can introduce colour casts I can't say that I've ever ran into any serious issues.

Kood filters fit the Cokin holders and are, say Kood, fully compatible. Full details are on their web site.

So I definitely want the z-pro then if the p series is only for 28mm onwards?

So I definitely want the z-pro then if the p series is only for 28mm onwards?

The "28mm" spec is for 35mm format so you'd need to convert that to APS-C spec... I assume that's about 17/18mm. It's a while since I had an APS-C camera but I'm certain that my Cokin setup worked ok without vignetting with my Canon 17-85mm and it works ok on my Micro Four Thirds at 14mm. Also works ok on my Sony A7 (FF) when fitted with a Minolta 24mm f2.8 which has a 49mm filter dia.

Last edited:
The "28mm" spec is for 35mm format so you'd need to convert that to APS-C spec... I assume that's about 17/18mm. It's a while since I had an APS-C camera but I'm certain that my Cokin setup worked ok without vignetting with my Canon 17-85mm and it works ok on my Micro Four Thirds at 14mm. Also works ok on my Sony A7 (FF) when fitted with a Minolta 24mm f2.8 which has a 49mm filter dia.

As said before, I am shooting full frame with 18-35 ;)

These seems very reasonably priced... Do you have experience with the non glass filters of theirs?
Yes i have a few nd grads and there wideangle adapter. They're great and all i need. They are manufactured by Formatt hitech here in Wales (I used to deliver the resin). As good as Cokin p's but cheaper.

There are plenty of positive reviews in websites and magazines. It depend on how much you are will to spend.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...-density-filters-6-models-tested-and-rated/5/

Last edited:
Another vote for SRB. Decent gear at a reasonable price. They also have a large range of other accessories.

Dave

Reactions: BBR
Well sounds good for SRB then if they're as good as Cokin, although they don't do 100mm filters?

What setup did you use the wideangle holder on?

you can get cokin p wide angle holder cheap, it just has 1 slot
i can use that with my 10-20 sigma at 10mm (15 equiv)

i think p size is ok apart from the extreme ultrawide angle lenses, like 14-24 sigma 8-16 etc

i think p size is ok apart from the extreme ultrawide angle lenses, like 14-24 sigma 8-16 etc

Missed the bit about op shooting FF.

My P series would only work on my 12-24mm at about 20mm. Can't remember if it worked with my Sigma 20mm f1.8 (a relatively big front element lens) I expect the front element dia of the lens will matter.

Ahhhh, this is the issue I have with this, one person says one thing then someone else says something completely contradictory hahah!

The guy above said P series is for 28mm onward on FF... :/ Confused again!

Missed the bit about op shooting FF.

My P series would only work on my 12-24mm at about 20mm. Can't remember if it worked with my Sigma 20mm f1.8 (a relatively big front element lens) I expect the front element dia of the lens will matter.

Ah that's less than ideal, definitely want to be able to shoot at 18mm and potentially lower in future!

Ahhhh, this is the issue I have with this, one person says one thing then someone else says something completely contradictory hahah!

The guy above said P series is for 28mm onward on FF... :/ Confused again!

It's ok me saying my Cokin setup is fine with My Minolta 24mm but I think you need to know if your specific lens will work without vignetting. You could check the manufactures web sites and see if your lens or another with similar spec is mentioned and if not why don't you try firing off an email or two to manufacturers and/or suppliers?

it may well depend on how the lens works and more than angle of view
i think i can use the normal 3 slot p holder on my rb67 50mm (24mm equiv) and my 16-50 (24mm equiv)

thing is you can buy a cokin p holder (compatitible) for a couple of quid, so you can do that and try it out

PS. Where abouts are you? Maybe someone with a filter set up could do a meet and check for vignetting with your lens?

it may well depend on how the lens works and more than angle of view
i think i can use the normal 3 slot p holder on my rb67 50mm (24mm equiv) and my 16-50 (24mm equiv)

thing is you can buy a cokin p holder (compatitible) for a couple of quid, so you can do that and try it out

Yup.

The holder and adapters are cheap... but the filters aren't :D so if buying a tester kit deffo best to just get the holder and adapter ring first :D

if you are planning to go super ultra wide later, then you will need bigger than p size, but i think each step up doubles your filter cost, and you also have bigger filters to faff about with

Well, Was pretty set on Z-Pro size with the 100mm filters until I was recommended SRB but they don't seem to do them...

I live in Plymouth, so if anyone is around here then that would be great!

Well, Was pretty set on Z-Pro size with the 100mm filters until I was recommended SRB but they don't seem to do them...

I live in Plymouth, so if anyone is around here then that would be great!
Sorry Pal i didn't read you were shooting FF. Look at the Cokin or Formatt Hitech 100mm then.

id suggest checking to see what filter systems and sizes fit the lenses you want in your future, then buying a suitable system

The 100mm filter systems are about as future proofed as you can get. Unfortunately they aren't going to be cheap from any of the manufacturers but that's what you'll need for the 18-35 on FX.

Well... Bought a cheap filter holder: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L1YK0ZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Figured, most of them are plastic anyway and for the amount it will be used, it should be adequate... Now just trying to decide on filters :/

Was looking at Kood ND8 filters although that's only a 3 stop filter and I feel like something else may be necessary.

Kind of wrote Hitech off because I was looking at some reviews and their colour cast seemed hideous!

Well... Bought a cheap filter holder: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00L1YK0ZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Figured, most of them are plastic anyway and for the amount it will be used, it should be adequate... Now just trying to decide on filters :/

Was looking at Kood ND8 filters although that's only a 3 stop filter and I feel like something else may be necessary.

Kind of wrote Hitech off because I was looking at some reviews and their colour cast seemed hideous!
Most have casts i think hitech are probably better than kood.

Most have casts i think hitech are probably better than kood.

Nope, kood are infinitely better than Hitech, Cokin or any of the other low end rubbish. The coating is however VERY FRAGILE and once scratched opens up the gateway to a whole lot of flare and ghosting problems. Cast wise though they are equal to Lee. (I use both Kood and Lee)

Back