'Soft' Reds on Saturday at Newcastle, Co Down

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
A lot of people saw the Reds at the weekend towards the Irish Sea side of the country and some lovely shots taken. However, I had some bad ones and cant figure out why and they're enclosed here for comment. Using D300 with Nikon 70-200 VR2 lens and Nikon 1.4TC (bad thing?) Dynamic area mode focusing with 9 points and continuous servo (C) Highish shutter speeds used so shouldnt be handshake. Any comments please on these four guilty pics
_DSC2611.jpg

_DSC2599.jpg

_DSC2594.jpg

_DSC2585.jpg

merv:bonk::bang:

I think they are just simply too far away. Even with the converter on. The only thing I would probably have done is shoot shutter priority of about 1000 and usually aim for about f7. I would also use 52 point for the full nine aircraft. It seems to focus better for this type of thing. I've shot the Reds hundreds of times and have tried most options.
Are these cropped? I don't think you could have done any better apart from waiting until they were nearer and using a shorter length. Probably not an option though.
I think I used the 1.7 converter for this shot. I shot manual this time and used 1/500s and f11. It was about 2 years ago.

DSC_3838.jpg

Kev.

Last edited:
Hi Merv. Those shots are good. I do think it was down to light,distance and converter. I've used all of Nikons converters and so far have been impressed with the new 2 x version on my 70-200mm vr2 or on the 300mm 2.8
Looking at the age of that shot, I suspect it was shot with the 70-200mm vr1 and 1.7 converter. Not 100% sure though.This one was taken with the 2 x converter on the 70-200mm vr2:

image2.jpg

Pity you're not nearer, I'd happily take you to some practise days shooting the Reds.

Kev.

Last edited:
Hi Kev - thats an absolute corker of a shot. I'm very envious. The Reds are back on 4/5 September for the Portrush airshow and I want to be ready. What kit then would you go prepared with - I have the 70-200 VR2, 2TC III (also 1.4 and 1.7), 300/2.8 prime. Is there any benefit in having a 70-300 VR 2nd generation as well or am I just going OTT?
Yeah, its a pity you're so far away - thats too good an offer to refuse. In Tatton Park at Knutsford on holiday from 20-28 Aug. Any airshows in the vicinity that you know of? Thanks for all your advice. merv:clap::clap:

Hi Merv. It depends on what the viewing is like there. The 300mm 2.8 would be perfect. Even with the 2 x tcIII on its brilliant!
I wouldn't even bother with the 70-300mm if you've got those lenses. I use the 300mm 90% of the time when shooting them.
I occassionaly use the 200-400mm. I'm trying to force myself to use it more just lately. Simply because it's a bloody expensive ornament.
Have a great day, most of all! If you come back with some keepers, all the better. :D

Kev.

Hi Kev - thought you might say all that. Portrush is a seaside resort so maybe the planes will stand off shore again so the 300 could well do the job. Do you use it hand held? I know its feasible but with 2TC surely its a monopod job, is it? I have the Manfrotto 393 heavy lens support for monopod but just got it and havent used it yet. what do you think? I should imagine looking skywards with it isnt that easy, althought its designed for that I believe. Do you know of any airshows around Cheshire late August? merv:clap:

Hi Merv.
I always shoot handheld. Even with the 200-400mm. I've also got the 393, but it's just not suitable for panning skywards fast. Not in my experience anyway.
I don't know of any airshows around Cheshire area I'm afraid. they're all just about done by that date. :|

Kev.

Thanks Kev - you said earlier you try to shoot at around f7 and shutter speed of 1/1000. Do you set these parameters separately in manual mode or do you go with shutter priority and hope the aperture is around f7. Do you ever opt for the maximum aperture of f2.8 to get the shutter speed up or is this maximum not the best for picture quality? So many questions. I realise for prop aircraft much slower speeds are required. merv:thinking::thinking:

I now tend to shoot shutter priority and adjust the iso accordingly so the camera gets me as near to f7 as possible. To be honest, iso 200 works great on a sunny day.
I rarely have to use 2.8. You can have problems with wing tips being out of focus. You don't need that kind of depth of field usually on this kind of thing. I'm lucky with the D3s as noise is never an issue, so iso can go to whatever it needs to. I've even been playing with auto iso on it lately and its amazing...

Kev.

Last edited:
Hi kev, you'd make a great teacher - your hints are so easily understood. Take your point about shallow depth of field and wingtips but I thought at large distances the shallowness of field depth would not be an issue. Obviously it potentially is. Is your D3S full frame and if it is how does the loss of crop factor affect the reach of your lenses. I have recently obtained a D700 in addition to my D300 but I tend to use the 300 because of the crop factor. Which of the cameras would you tend to use for airshows? Is the only benefit the super low light capability of the 700 which it has gained its reputation on? Sorry for more questions. merv:thinking::thinking:

I ALWAYS use the D3s. To the extent that I've considered getting rid of the D300. But I wont because it's my spare.
I find that the amount of detail retained in FF shots enables me to crop quite a lot without losing too much. Example:

Already slightly cropped. Shot with 300mm and 2 x converter.
DSC_3660b.jpg

Cropped a bit more.
DSC_3659b.jpg

Regarding depth of field, I can only say that I have had shots where one tip of a wing is sharp and the other out of focus. I assumed it was because I shot at 2.8.
I may be wrong. But I don't get it anymore, now I shoot at about f7-f10.
I had a D3 before the D3s and couldn't believe the difference in quality from the D300. The shots just seemed to have more detail retained. I'm no techo geek when it comes to camera's and gear. I don't do tests on charts etc. I just look at the images I get and compare. If it works, then great, I stick with it.

Kev.

Hi Kev - those images are ridiculous! I have never seen such quality. Do you think then I would be wiser to use the D700 for all my motorsports stuff, planes etc and not worry about the loss of 'reach' with the FF. The D700 is still 12.0mP like the D300 - what is the pixcel count of the D3s? I always thought the 300 for sports and the FF 700 for landscapes (which seem rather tame and I havent time to take!) Its great to hear your experiences. Sounds like I should have confidence in the 2 TC with the 70-200 or 300/2.8. regards merv:clap::clap:

Hi Merv. Just give it a try mate! The D3s is 12mp as well. I managed similar results to those pictures with my D3. Which is very similar to the D700.
This is a shot with my D3. Its a fairly heavy crop and there is still plenty of detail left in it.

DSC_2814.jpg

Get out there mate and take two shots of the same subject. One witht he D700 and one with the D300. Crop your D700 shot back to the the same as the D300 and see what you think.
Only you can decide which you prefer. I absolutely love using Full Frame.

Kev.

Thats a great bird shot

Thanks Kev for your help - over and out ( for a while). merv:clap:

Hi Kev - if you're still looking at this thread, used the 70-200 VR2 today with the 2XTC III and it is amazing. Can see no loss of quality at full zoom. Not on planes today but nevertheless the images are excellent. merv:)

Hi Kev - if you're still looking at this thread, used the 70-200 VR2 today with the 2XTC III and it is amazing. Can see no loss of quality at full zoom. Not on planes today but nevertheless the images are excellent. merv:)

Told you so. ;) (y)

Kev.

Hi Kev - am going to use the D700 as my main camera. It'll make getting high shutter speeds with about f7 easier by using higher ISO if I need to with little risk of noise. Its tempting to try the 1.4 and 1.7 TC's again but I think its the aspherical aspect of the 2TC that sets it streets ahead on its own. merv:)

I don't think you will regret it Merv. I'll look forward to seeing some shots from you. All we need to do now is get you down to Wales for a trip:

DSC_0495800.jpg

(y):D

Kev.

Hi kev - what's in Wales - apart from sheep ? - woops. Probably wont have shots till Portrush air show on 4 Sept. REds, Battle of Britain, typhoon etc. merv::wave:

Kev - for some reason that pic of the jet has only appeared now on my PC. I was on mobile broadband before only on a 2G signal and the text appeared only. Magic shot. merv:clap::clap:

Back